FORTY SIX

As children, we sometimes wondered why the devil couldn't just repent and ask God for forgiveness. Why did he choose to remain in hell, looking for people who he'd drag down there to spend eternity with him?

Was he that miserable? Maybe.

But personally, I think this says a lot about our own story.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Adam sat at the edge of his bed in the dark room, his phone screen being the only source of light. He stared down at the incoming call from the unknown number, mentally debating on whether to answer or not. He knew who was calling but he didn't know what to expect if he ended up picking up the call.

Before Adam could make a decision, the door swung open and Zehan walked in, only just returning from the stadium. Adam didn't spend up to three seconds holding eye contact with him.

Adam's phone stopped ringing just as Zehan sighed, closing the door behind him.

"Are you going to the party?" Zehan asked.

Adam ignored the question, climbing into his bed and lying on it and facing the wall, turning his back to Zehan.

"What is your problem exactly?" Zehan asked, now sounding frustrated and tired. "What exactly do you want me to do? I should just sit around after Kasy and Dele ruined my life? That's what you want?"

Adam didn't move an inch. He stared at the wall in front of him while Zehan spoke to his back. It was obvious that Zehan was still very far from feeling sorry for what he did. And Adam didn't know why he hadn't told Kasy anything yet but after the ridiculous day—and Newland's losses—everyone was tired. Adam just wanted to get some sleep before the party.

"You don't know how it feels. You don't know what I had to go through. You have no idea what it's like to be blamed for something you didn't do," he went on, "But I'm not even asking for your sympathy or whatever. I'm just asking you to put yourself in my shoes and tell me you wouldn't take revenge on the people who are responsible for tearing your family apart."

Adam shut his eyes, willing himself not to say anything. He exhaled as Zehan seemed to have given up on his ranting.

"You know what... Fuck this," Zehan mumbled, walking to the door.  "Y'all can fuck yourself." He stormed out, making sure to slam the door.

Before Adam could comprehend what had just happened, his phone began ringing again. Adam turned around and grabbed it from the bedside table.

It was still that same unknown number calling. Except it wasn't really ‘unknown’ since he knew who it was.

Adam had lied to CJ when he asked if all he'd discussed with Kaniru boys was concerning their offer to ‘take care of’ Ahmed. Asides that, they'd given Adam the phone number of a guy called Tega who happened to live in Newland Estate. Adam had no idea how these Castron High boys knew this Tega person but they'd said that if Adam got in contact with him, he would be able to help him. Tega could do whatever Adam would need the Kaniru boys to do. Like ‘taking care of’ Ahmed if he ever decided to.

Adam hadn't saved Tega's number yet and this number calling him now matched it. It had to be the Tega guy. He didn't know why they would give him his number.

"Hello?" Adam now had the phone pressed against his ear. He might as well get the whole thing over and done with.

• • •

Sola's room was a mess. She, Annika and the two other girls they shared the room with were struggling between getting ready for the party and packing their bags in preparation to leave early the following day.