THIRTY ONE

The irony of looking for something and finding something else is uncanny

The irony of looking for something and finding something else is uncanny. Who said a bond can't be formed during battle? Who said rivalry can't birth friendship? Who said you can't find love in hate?

What do find when you come looking for revenge, though?

We only refuse to see things clearly when our eyes are clouded by emotions; vengeful vendettas, destructive agendas.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

After drying off her body with her big, pink towel, she wrapped it around her body and made her way out of the bathroom.

Tamara's room was at the far end of the hallway, opposite the bathroom. Next to hers was Timi's room and Tari's room was the first one and opposite their parents' room. Tamara liked it that way because it meant that she wouldn't have to walk any distance in just a towel before she got to her room.

Something about letting people see her body was just...uncomfortable. She preferred being fully clothed and not showing more skin than necessary.

She got into her room and locked the door. She was now free to discard her towel while she got dressed.

She had put on her undies before standing in front of the large wall mirror to assess her nudity for the first time in a very long time. What was she doing? She had no answer to that question. In fact, for some seconds, she wasn't thinking of anything as she stared at herself in the mirror. Until the voice in head came.

'Fatty. You eat everything you lay your hands on.'

'Look how big you are.'

'Buffalo!'

'Ew! Are those stretch marks?'

Tamara felt like shattering the mirror but that wouldn't change the reflection of herself.

Before the voices in her head could continue, she hurriedly put on her clothes and refused to go near the mirror on the wall. But even as her did that, she couldn't help but ponder on the things those voices said.

Because those voices...they belonged to actual people. And what they said, they were things she'd heard all her life.

Even as Tamara made her way out of her bedroom, she didn't turn to look at the mirror next to her wardrobe. She didn't need to be reminded of how she looked.

What she didn't understand was why her body and what people said about it was starting to become such a big deal all of a sudden. She had gone all her life ignoring nasty comments people like her sister and classmates made about her body but all of a sudden, those comments and mockery were starting to hit harder.