TWENTY

Too many broken things

Broken things were what we were. Broken things that might've not have known that we were broken but we seeked redemption anyway.

I know you're already starting to feel like this is a losing game we're playing but I can't anything about it.

If only we would stop hurting people because we're hurt, maybe we would find the time and strength to heal our own wounds.

It doesn't take much for a broken person to see another broken thing. But we were good at hiding our broken parts and that would make redemption almost impossible.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

TWELVE YEARS EARLIER.

Raheem and Monica sat at the dinning table next to each other nursing their full glasses of red wine as they did nothing but stare at each other.

"What?" asked Monica, smiling.

"Nothing," Raheem shook his head, his grin grew wider as he took his wife's free hand on the table, "I'm just thinking of how lucky I am to be married to the most beautiful woman on earth."

Monica brought up her glass and took a long sip but it didn't stop her cheeks from growing hot. "Don't flatter me, Raheem."

"It is the simple truth." He shrugged and she shook her head with that smile still gracing her red painted lips. "I wanted to tell you...I'm taking the kids to the mosque tomorrow."

Monica immediately withdrew her hands from his. No doubt, that action had shook her husband and the sudden frown on her face made him more confused. "Raheem, I thought we talked about this?"

"Talked about what?" Raheem asked. "The last time I brought it up you acted like I'd said something I shouldn't have said."

"Raheem, giving the boys muslim names was one thing, taking them to the mosque is a different thing."

"I don't understand where you're coming from, honey." He looked sincerely confused while his wife looked like she was done with the conversation. "Islam is our religion, I don't see a reason why you're acting like I'm about to initiate them into a secret cult."

"Islam is your religion, Raheem, not ours," Monica replied. "You keep acting like I and the kids are suddenly muslims because I got married to you."

"I don't have a problem with you being a Christian but Ismael and Zehan are muslims," Raheem said.

"Because you're a muslim that automatically means the kids are too? You're imposing this thing on them."