This isn't real, it has to be an illusion, or a dream. The light and the darkness circled each intently, brushing over each other in the most mesmerizing ways possible.

"How can this be possible?" I asked as the Darkling pulled away. the light that once seeped through my skin was gone and the shadows faded away into thin air, I looked up to the darkling.

"This has to be some kind of mistake," I chanted out, "I was tested as a child, I remember the day like it was yesterday."

"If you were tested, why did you refuse to let it show then?" He asked with genuine curiosity.

I opened my mouth, "Because I didn't know it was there." I replied quickly. "How could I have known—"

He lifted his hand, "You would have known, if you ever felt different from anyone in your past you would have known."

I sucked in a breath, "Well I didn't," I said. Liar, "I've felt nothing but normal."

He tilted his head at me, a small grin plastering on his face. "Ooh really?"

I lifted my head, though fear struck me that maybe the darkling could read minds, "Yes."

Seconds of silence fell over us, studying each other's expressions. "What you did back there will be spread throughout Ravka. Every other country beyond us will hunt you."

I blinked up at him, what is he thinking? "It isn't safe for you here anymore."

The realization hit me then. He wants to take me way.

"No!" I shouted getting to my feet. "I am not going anywhere."

"You can try to take me away, but I will not. I am staying here." My voice wavered as I walked backwards and away from the cot and the Darkling.

The Darkling sighed, "I am afraid that isn't your decision, Ms. Costov." He retreated towards the flap of the tent and signaled for someone.

I watched in horror, "Please don't," I whimpered. He ignored me and opened the flap wider as two Grisha in vibrant red walked into the tent.

"Take her to my carriage," The darkling said. "And make sure she doesn't escape." He said as he looked over his shoulder at me before turning to walked out.

"No!" I shouted as he left. The Grisha in red walked towards me, grabbing both arms and dragging me out.

"Let me go!" I shouted. A group of people surrounded the perimeter talking in low voices as we passed.

The Darkling's coach was up ahead, Grisha in red and purple waiting, "Let me go!"

Within the crowd a voice shouted, "Let go of her!" It was Mal.

Relief flooded through me, "Mal!" I shouted.

Mal was only a feet away from me when two first army guards emerged from the crowd, with riffles ready to shoot, "Mal!" I shouted but it was too late.

The guard on the right side of him knocked him in the jaw with the other end of the rifle sending Mal tumbling to the ground and clutching his jaw, blood flowing from his mouth.

"Mal!" I shouted again. The two guards took hold of his arms and pulled him to his feet, "I will find you!" He shouted.

I tried to yank myself free when the Grisha guard on my left hissed into my ear, "Shut it!"

I ignored it and thrashed again but it was too late, the two guards hauled me up the stairs and into the coach, throwing the door shut with a loud thud. I knew I couldn't escape, there was to many Grisha around. But I tried the door and when I did it was thrown open and the guard that hissed in my ear growled, "Try to escape this coach and I'll lock it from the outside."

I didn't get time to shout or make a remark when the door was slammed back shut. I wanted to cry, to shout at the top of my lungs but I knew that wouldn't help me. I could hear Mal screaming my name from outside, but I knew if I looked back, I would regret it.

I clenched my eyes shut and listened until he was out of reach and then the carriage was moving.

Words written:

1,335