"Ooh." I stopped walking again looking down the street.

"What? What is it?" He turned to face me.

"Nothing it's just—We're only in for a couple of weeks." I kicked the mud pushing a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Ooh—" I looked up to him.

"I know, I know, I was hoping for some more time with you too." I tilted my head to the side and smiled softly at him.

"Well let's make these next few weeks the best as they possibly can before the separate us again." He nudged me with his elbow I smiled before nodding in agreement.

"What shall we do then? You pick and we'll do." Mal said gesturing to our surroundings.

My brows furrowed but the smile never left my lips. "You mean right now?"

He rolled his eyes his head lolling back with a sigh. "No after we get back yes right now!"

I laughed. Honestly, I didn't know there wasn't much to do in Kribirsk. Yes, it was nice but there were only small food markets and first and second army tents lined up all the way to the docks for the skiffs.

"Ooh ummm—" I looked around. "Can't we just go and talk somewhere?"

His smile only brightened, and he stepped closer and ruffled up my hair. "I knew you would say that." I scoffed and swatted his hand away.

"How? Can you read minds Malyen Oretsev?" I smirked up at him.

He scoffed back. "You wish," I laughed.

I went to open my mouth, but Mal suddenly pulled me aside so fast that I hadn't even heard or recognized the ruckus of a carriage that had passed. There were Grisha pulling it and there had been no other Carriage with the color black which told me one thing it was the the Darkling's.

"Rude," I mumbled under my breath, my eyes finding Mal's again and, he coughed letting me go. I brushed off my green army uniform and looked anywhere but him.

"You really need to watch your surroundings." Mal teased after a few second of collection. I turned to him my mouth hanging open in offense.

"I always watch my surroundings!" I squeaked.

"Ooh really?" Mal rose his brow skeptically at me before shaking his head with a laugh. "Keep lying to yourself, Maira," He whispered into my ear, then added "You know where liars go when they lie don't you?" He said cockily throwing me a wink as he began his retreat.

I turned shouting. "I always watch where I'm going!" He stretched his arm out and beaconed me to follow him, he turns to me walking backwards. I huff before turning the opposite way out of stubbornness and making my way back towards my tent that was halfway across the other side of the base, and
before I do that; I bump shoulders with someone accidentally and almost fall to the ground but luckily the stranger caught me before I could.

"My apologies ma'am." The voice was rough and dark. My breath hitched when my eyes landed on the dark quartz color of General Kirigans eyes. I'd really just ran into the General. I thought I might be hallucinating or sleep deprived but when he helped me stand up straighter, I knew better then to think either of those things.

"Ooh— no— no need to apologize." I stammered moving my unsteady hand to move some hair from my face and mouth. "I— I wasn't watching where I was going sir."

He was extremely tall; I barely went past his collars. His hair was raven with strands hanging loosely in his face and, he wore black like a saint. I might pass out. I gulped before coughing.

"If you'll excuse me General I have somewhere to be." I said rather quickly. Before I could get far, he stopped me by putting his hand on my elbow. He had a barely noticeable smile on his lips. "What's your name dear one?" He asked softly.

He wanted to know my name. Ooh god. Just say it and go die from embarrassment. "Oh um— Maira sir." I stammered once more.

He hummed before nodding. "Well, Maira. I hope I see you sometime in the future." His hand grazed my elbow before dropping it.

There was something about the touch that had thrown me off though. Like a pull inside me I'd never felt until today. I shook it off and turned to Mal who was looking at me with his eyes wide, but a devious smirk was making its way onto his lips.

I mouth to him "Not. A. Word." with a glare,
before turning my gaze back in the Generals direction, but he'd already been gone. I released a long breath before turning back to Mal who was again beckoning for me to follow him, but this time I followed.

Chapter one re-editing editing done!

1,473 words written.