1

Chapter 1 – Smells So Good

Qingchuan Road was an old street filled with broken down and dilapidated buildings where advertisements for certificates, loans, medicine, and engraving seals seemed to grow on the dusty, gray concrete walls.

The rubber-insulated power lines densely draped overhead were covered with such a thick layer of dust that their original color could no longer be seen.

Chu Yu had been wandering around the area for more than half an hour and had successfully lost his way.

It was the hottest time of the day in August and Chu Yu felt upset.

Sincerely recalling, he’d seen directions to a hidden, local culinary delicacy on some public account’s post. The photos and texts depicting the beef stew made his mouth water such that he rushed straight to this old and run down ghost town—

How fucking stupid.

With all these messy thoughts in his head, Chu Yu continued to walk. He turned at a corner and caught the faint sound of a scuffle. He hesitatingly walked a few steps forward and took a peek. Incredible. Surprisingly, there were still people willing to face high temperatures of 30 to 40 degrees and gather to fight?

In the narrow alley stood two opposing parties.

On one side, there were approximately seven to eight individuals wearing black tank tops which sported huge sleeve tattoos. So long as skin was exposed, there would be an azure dragon1 tattooed on that entire region. At a glance, they appeared exactly like hooligans— aggressive and not to be trifled with.

On the other side stood a lone man. From Chu Yu’s perspective, only a tiny half of his profile could be seen. He wasn’t very old. He wore a simple, refreshing white T-shirt with jeans; his exposed wrists meager and fair. Compared to the group of tattooed men opposite him, he looked very casual.

Chu Yu pondered for several seconds and concluded that this was following a certain pattern of criminal activity. He nimbly dialled 110 and called the police.

Typically, in this kind of a confrontation, the party who started the beef would first give an opening remark. They would talk about the cause or highlight their deterring might.

The boss of the tattooed men wore a pair of bright red sports shorts. He was burly, with garish muscles and a shiny nose ring. With a gang leader’s posture, he took a step forward, raised his chin, and looked down as if staring at a chick. “Lu Shi, if you fucking kneel down, kowtow to your grandpas and apologize, us grandpas will let you leave with an arm today!”

After he finished speaking, the row of younger brothers standing behind him played along and roared with laughter.

Chu Yu held his breath as he quietly watched, though he couldn’t help but judge inwardly. Brother sleeve-tattoo, this line is just too lame, clichéd and lackluster.

“Why talk so much shit? I haven’t had lunch yet and I’m a bit hungry so let’s save time and you guys come at me together.”

“…”

Ah?

Chu Yu gasped!

The voice was relaxed and unhurried, very pleasant to the ear and very easy to grasp. However, the message was really too lacking and when coupled with such a loose and contemptuous tone, it hundred percent became a taunt.

Chu Yu originally thought that those sleeve tattooed guys wouldn’t be able to bear it and go for a punch, but they didn’t follow the norm. Instead, the boss in red shorts stayed still, as if he were partially— scared?