Chapter 32

Luca's POV

"Daddy!" I heard a little girl's voice yell from down the hall. I quickly got up and opened my office door to have Anastasia jumping on top of me.

"Hello princess" I greeted her. I looked down the hall behind her and saw Matteo standing there. He glared at me before waving goodbye to Ana.

"How was hanging out with your uncle today?" I asked. Her face lit up immediately and she started going on and on about her day. I tried to pay attention but my mind kept going back to Matteo.

A few months after Karmen disappeared he said that he was done. Matteo rightfully blamed me for what happened to Karmen. I couldn't even argue because I knew it was my fault. If I hadn't thrown that damn vase she would still be here with me. So, I let him retire early and move out and now I only see him when he spends time with the girls and Caleb.

"Are you even listening to me?" She complained. "I'm sorry sweetheart I got distracted, can you tell me again?" I asked and she jokingly rolled her eyes with a dramatic sigh. "Ughhh I guess," she said before happily explaining her day again.

—————————————————-

Karmen's POV

Recently Dmitri has been letting me out by myself whenever he needs me to do something. The first time he did I tried to run or get someone to call Luca but he had someone watching nearby who stopped me. He said if something like that happened ever again he'd make sure everyone at the estate dies a very painful death, including Caleb.

When one of Dmitri's men dropped me off at the mall, he reminded me of what Dmitri won't let me forget, that he had the power and I didn't.

Everything was going to plan at the mall until I looked up from one of my shopping bags and saw a familiar set of eyes staring back at me. I quickly tried to turn around and leave before any of Dmitri's men could spot him here, but I knew I failed when I glanced back and saw him following after me.

The inside of my eyelids stung as I tried to hold back her tears but when I heard him call out it broke me "mom?!" He called out. I wanted to turn around, to just hug him even if it's just for a second but I couldn't be that selfish, not right now.

I continued bobbing and weaving through people and crowds. He must have gotten tired of chasing me because I heard his heavy footsteps stop and he yelled "Karmen Vitale?!"

Hearing Luca's last name paired with my first brought me down. I had let a few tears lose while I was walking but after hearing that I couldn't help but dropped to my knees, weak, and let my sobs break free.

I heard the footsteps come to a stop once again behind me "Momma?" Caleb called from behind me, kneeling. I took a few deep breaths before turning around and meeting his eyes.

I scanned my eyes over his whole face and body. He use to be the same height as me but now he looks like he may have beat Matteo. "eres todo un adulto" I muttered to myself. Before I could get another word in, Caleb wrapped me into a tight hug, "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault." I cried.
(You're all grown up)

After what felt like hours of us hugging I pulled away, finally noticing the girl standing behind Caleb. I was about to greet her when I was suddenly brought back to reality "I- I have to go, I'm so sorry." I cried. I went to turn around but Caleb quickly and gently grabbed my arm, preventing me from leaving.

"What do you mean you have to go?" He finally spoke. "Dad and I, we've been looking for you. We never stopped. And now that I find you you're trying to leave again? Without even asking about how everyone is?!"