19. Extension

Mulai dari awal

I was not expecting him to say that. I would have thought he would be encouraging the idea even though it was a joke.

“I don’t, we wouldn’t do that unless Kyle wants too.”

Xavier nods.

“So how is work?” I ask; he hasn’t shared much about it.

“It’s work. They’re still doing research about expanding the business.” He replies.

“Okay.” I reply. “Well, are you going to sleep soon?” I ask as I turn off the iPad.

“Yes, I just want to see the ending of the show.”

“Okay, goodnight.” I say giving him a kiss before lying down.

“Goodnight, love.” Xavier says.

***

The weeks go by, play dates are arranged, Xavier is busy with work, and I start working on the children’s book. Soon the end of the school year is upon us, the twins have an end of the year celebration at school and to celebrate their first year of school, we take them to JumpStart, where they play on the inflatables. Then, we have lunch at home with my brother and our friends and Kyle calls to congratulate them. He lets them know they’ll be getting a surprise from him. It’s time to give them the gifts he sent them. They each open their gift to find a photo in a frame, each about a moment during the time we spent at the beach. Celestine’s is when she was tickling Angel and Angel’s is when he was building the castle. I hadn’t realized that Kyle or someone was taking photos, but I’m glad. They captured perfect moments. They insist on calling Kyle after they opened their gifts to thank him again. 

After a week of rest, the twins start attending a summer day camp, where they use most of their energy. Xavier is given the task to check a site for the company, so he is gone for a week. I keep running into a block concerning the children’s book. I don’t know if or when I’ll be able to complete it. I still don’t have a concrete idea for it.

When the day camp ends, I make it a routine to take them and Rocky to the park during the mornings, so that they use most of their energy. When we return home, we read and watch some educational videos before they go back to playing. It gives me enough time to complete all the work I have each day. Xavier starts working longer hours, he leaves early in the morning, so we see him until he comes home for dinner. He goes on a couple of trips. Even though he calls and I love taking care of the twins, at times like these it makes me feel like I’m the only parent. I want Xavier by my side along with the twins.

The twins birthday gets closer and we start brainstorming for it. Angel’s favorite animal are elephants while Celestine’s are dolphins. They both like painting and playing basketball so we end up choosing a sports theme. Our family and friends, the twins’ friends are invited as well. As soon as their friends start arriving, Angel and Celestine start playing. We finish setting everything out. Soon, Xavier brings out the piñata. 

“Who’s ready to break the piñata?” Xavier says showing it.

Me’s are heard.

“Dad, they should go first.” Celestine says. “I want to go last.”

“But I want to go last.” Angel says.

“How about pick a number and the one that is closest to the number gets to go last?” I propose.

“Yes, daddy.”

“Okay, number?”

“Five.” Celestine says.

“Nine.” Angel says.

“What number do I have?” I ask showing them my fingers.

“Three. Yes! I go last.” Celestine exclaims.