5. Jagged

We talk about the date of our wedding. If it was up to Xavier we would get marry tomorrow, but I want my family to attend. We agree to marry in August; it gives everyone time to plan. Xavier visits me after work at my apartment. Kyle is still out. We're eating on the couch.

"Will you take my last name?" Xavier asks.

"Hmm, I was thinking we could take both last names."

"That's too long. Why can't you just take my last name?"

"Because marriage is supposed to be about two and it signifies change, so I want us to take both last names."

"I know, but I would prefer for you to take mine instead of combining both last names."

"So then would you take my last name?"

"No, I want you take my last name."

"Why won't you agree?"

"Because you should take my last name. I want everyone to know you're mine."

I put my food down and turn my full attention to him.

"I am yours, but you're also mine, so why can't it be a compromise that we take both last names. I didn't even say I want to keep my last name and not take yours either."

"Because I'm the older one and it's what is expected."

"That doesn't mean anything. It's not about following expectation. It's about making ones for us as a couple."

"I won't change my mind. I agree to have the wedding in August, so you can agree to take my last name."

Did he just say that? They are totally different topics. "Why? I still don't understand why we can't combine our last names."

"Cristian, I'm not changing my mind. Just agree to take my last name."

"No, when you've changed your mind to combine our names, we'll get married." I say standing up and exiting the room taking my plate to the kitchen.

I still can't believe what he said. Why does he have to be so stubborn about our last name? I stay in the kitchen. I don't want to face him right now. I meant it when I said there's no marriage if he doesn't agree to combine our last names. Part of me hopes he won't leave without us solving this, but another part of me think he will just leave because he's too stubborn. I'm disappointed when I hear the front door open and close.

"Hey, Xavier, how are you?"

"Hi, Kyle."

"Hmm, where is Cristian?"

"In the kitchen."

"Is everything alright?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. I'll go say hi."

He must of given a nod, since I don't hear a response. Before he makes it to the kitchen, I start walking towards the exit, but I hear the door open and close. I change my direction to the balcony. I hear Kyle calling my name, but I don't respond. He finds me in the balcony.

"What happened?"

I shake my head.

"Hey you can talk to me."

"We had an argument and I think I ended our marriage before it even started."

He brings me in for a hug and tears start falling. I didn't think I was going to cry. He starts rubbing my back as I keep crying.

After minutes, he whispers, "tell me what happened."

"We had an argument about our last names. I want us both to combine our last names, but he doesn't want to do so. He wants me to take his last name. He just says that it's the expectation and he wants everyone to know I'm his. He doesn't see that I want the same thing or my point of view."