you get self concious

A/N: from my marvel one-shots book :)

not proof read, fluffy maria hill x reader

You were sitting on the couch in the main room, mindlessly scrolling through instagram before you got bored and decided to watch some Netflix. Recently, you had been watching a show your girlfriend used to be in before she joined SHIELD, and damn. She was hot.

You were enjoying seeing all the stupid things her character got up to, especially when she went all Robin Sparkles. The episode you were on was about the Reacher/Settler dynamic in every relationship and it really got you thinking.

It was very clear to you that you were the reacher in this relationship, hell, your girlfriend was one of the best agents SHIELD had ever seen and she used to be a world famous actress.

You were just some girl she met at the local bookshop after you had both gone in to seek shelter from the stormy weather outside. She had bumped into you and caused you to spill your coffee all over yourself. She was in awe at how effortlessly beautiful you looked and didn't pay attention to where she was going. As an apology, she offered to take you out to get some more coffee and you both instantly hit it off.

There was nothing special about you, you were simply Maria Hill's girlfriend. Not that you were complaining in the slightest. You loved her with all your heart as did she did you. You had often gotten messages on social media saying you didn't deserve Maria or that you weren't good enough for her and after a while you had started to believe it.

You walked up to your room and pulled on one of her hoodies. Her scent instantly overwhelmed your senses and you felt a sense of security as you got lost in your thoughts, many of them negative.

A sudden tap on your shoulder startled you, prompting you to turn around only to be met by the love of your life's concerned expression. "Everything okay?" she kissed your forehead gently. You nodded and looked at the floor, fidgeting with your rings, avoiding eye contact with Maria.

She picked you up and sat on the bed with you in her lap, "talk to me, baby." You buried your face in her neck as tears began to fall from your eyes, your bottom lip quivering.

"Shh, shh, it's okay, you're okay love," she held you tightly, cradling your shaking body. "I don't deserve you," you laced her fingers with your own. "Don't you dare say that, you deserve the whole world and so much more baby," Maria frowned.

"But that's the thing, I don-" you began before she cut you off. "Stop right there, what's brought this on?" she asked you. "Nothing," you mumbled. "Well it's clearly something if you're this upset about it," she played with your hair.

"People were just saying it on my Instagram post the other day," you sighed. "What? Who?" she began to get angry. "I don't know, random people, your fans," you told her. "I swear to god no fan of mine gets to treat you that way, I will take care of this," she scowled. "No please don't, they'll just hate me more," you whimpered. "I'm not just going to sit and watch as people disrespect my girlfriend," she stroked your cheek with her thumb.

"Do you remember the day we met?" you looked up at her. "Of course I do, I was too busy staring at your pretty face and walked into you, it's quite embarrassing to admit that wasn't the last time that happened," she giggled at the memory.

"I just don't understand," you rested your head on her shoulder. "Don't understand what?" she kissed the top of your head. "Why someone like you would fall in love with a normal person like me," you felt like such a pick me girl for voicing your worries but you knew you wouldn't be able to put your mind at ease until you heard what she had to say.

"Where do I even start?" she began, "as soon as I walked in the door of that bookshop, I saw you standing there with your slightly wet hair framing your beautiful face, your nose was glistening slightly in the cosy lighting of the room and you had a really adorable look on your face, the one you get when you're frustrated but you're trying to stay positive. I remember the way your eyes darted around the room and then stopped as you focused on the ginger cat relaxing next to the window. You had started walking towards it and I didn't realise that I had been subconsciously walking towards you before it was too late. You had a cute little scowl on your face before you met my gaze and smiled softly and it was at that moment I knew you were the girl I wanted to marry. Everything about you was so innocent and perfect but I knew that you were strong and able to stand your ground. I had felt awful for ruining your blouse and I just wanted to wrap my arms around you and never let go. My heart skipped a beat when you agreed to go get coffee with me and the grin that you had on your face as we ran through the rain to get to Starbucks will forever be etched in my mind. I could never love anyone as much as I love you because you are my everything. You are my sun, moon and stars and I can't believe I was so lucky to meet you. Next time you're feeling like this come to me and I promise to make you feel better because I can't stand the idea of you being upset, I am so grateful to have you in my life. I love you y/n l/n. Never forget that."

You were crying by the end of her speech and you realised that no matter how alone you felt, you would always have Maria by your side.

a/n: do we want smut in this book???

love you all <3