9. I could love you

I headed outside campus, to get something to eat at the usual deli. However, I barely made it halfway through the park, that I heard a familiar voice greet me: "Hello, Cupcake."

I inevitably groaned, not even stopping for him, but he quickly caught up and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "What do you want, Bennet?" I huffed, pulling away.

"Thought I'd grab some lunch with my lovely roommate, may I?" He replied, predictably keeping up with my pace.

"No."

He chuckled. "Oh, come on ..."

"Don't you have freshman stuff to do? Like meetings and all that?"

"All done. Nothing but classes from now on." I was about to wish him luck, but then he added: "Well, classes and you, baby girl." He winked, sliding an arm around my waist.

I sighed, stopping. "Seriously?" I gave him an exhausted look. "You disappear for a whole weekend, then you come back and all you can think about is sex?"

"Correction," he claimed, sneakily using the fact that I'd turned to face him to grab my hips, and crash my body into his, "all I can think about is sex with you."

"Sounds like an obsession." I scoffed, turning my head to the side not to look at him.

"Well, who knows, maybe it is." He shrugged, and I yelped when I felt his hands squeezing my butt. His lips were against my neck when he spoke, in that husky bass that makes me weak every time. "Don't worry, it's a healthy obsession," he claimed, "it only means you've got me all to yourself, baby girl."

"Who says I even want you?" I bit back.

"For starters, your body recognizes me." He smirked against my lips. "And no matter what you say, you still haven't kicked me out."

"So, you're just using my complicated situation against me." I sent him a dirty look.

Lukas rolled his eyes, albeit amused, then raked a hand through my hair. "You really need to loosen up, baby."

Ok, enough is enough. I pulled back from him abruptly, tired of his game. "Ok, stop it." I barked. "I know what you're doing, but it's not going to work. I'm not falling into your trap." I looked around. "I don't know who put you up to this, but it has to stop."

He looked genuinely confused for a moment. "Who put me up to what?"

"Come on, Lukas, drop the mask." I crossed my arms over my chest, mostly to protect myself. There's this tiny part of me that for a split second actually believed that Lukas Bennet was purely attracted to me, but it was squashed pretty easily. It's a bet, simple as that. Or some sort of wicked game he's up to because he's bored. There's no other explanation.

"Baby, I'm a fan of riddles as the next guy, but I really don't know what you're talking about here."

I rolled my eyes. "You really want me to believe there's not a bet behind all this?" I pointed at me and him. "That you're not playing some stupid game of cat and mouse with me because somebody put you up to it or you're just bored?"

Lukas stared at me in pure confusion for a few seconds. He looked truly unaware of anything going on beyond his mere attempts at getting into my pants – again, that is. Eventually, he did have a reaction. He laughed. He started laughing wholeheartedly, as if my words were the funniest thing he'd ever heard.

I better braced myself, embarrassed and mad at the same time. "Go ahead, laugh." I grumbled, taking a step back to walk away. I hate this feeling, this reminder in my head that I shouldn't expect anything, I don't deserve it.