22. It can't come as a surprise to you

I woke up abruptly when I felt the bed shift, but when I opened my eyes, I was alone in the room. Probably better this way. I remembered falling asleep in Lukas' arms. If it was a dream, it's a bit of a problem, but no big deal. If he left right after I fell asleep, even better. At the very least, it was a sign that he respects the rules, or simply that despite his kindness, he sees in all this the same thing I do: just sex.

As I sat up, I winced, feeling all the pain of day number two of, how come Eve simply ate an apple, and now I bleed every month? Menopause can't come soon enough. When, however, upon turning to my nightstand, I noticed a glass of water and Tylenol right next to it, I inevitably smiled because those weren't there last night.

I immediately gulped down a pill, and took a sip of water. When I went to the bathroom, I made a mental note to reschedule my appointment with the gynecologist. Normally, I get checked up every few months, but since I recently restarted ... well, being sexually active, I decided I should anticipate the next checkup, so that I can also restart with birth control. Maybe I need to ask my doctor what can protect you 100% even though you and your fuck buddy go at it like rabbits.

Once done with my daily routine, I headed into the kitchen. Or rather, I almost did. I stopped to check my phone first and, much to my dismay, I realized it was 5 am. Five freaking am. How did I get up so early?

Going back to sleep was an easy decision, but realizing one simple detail made me anxious: Lukas did cuddle me through my sleep, the shifting of the bed that woke me was him getting up for his usual morning run. I'm going to need to start being more careful, that kind of slipup was insane.

🔥🔥🔥

"There she is, my reward for not skipping class."

I chuckled, going to sit next to him. "Hey, Sean."

"So, what have you been up to?" He asked, feigning an investigative gaze – plain TV detective style.

"A little bit of this, a little bit of that." I joked, and he laughed. "Nah, the usual things. Studying, reading, binge-watching."

"Quite the domestic life." Sean mused.

"My sister says I'm a crazy cat lady without the cats."

He laughed at that. "As a leading expert in crazy chicks," he inevitably hinted at the petite brunette scanning the classroom, looking for him, "I can say that your sister is wrong, you're not crazy at all." Sean stated, solemnly yet jokingly.

"I do want a cat, though." I half pouted. "But my condo has a rule against animals."

"Mine doesn't." Sean said. "But I'm pretending I have an allergy because my roommate wants a Malamute or a St. Bernard."

"They're adorable." I've always wanted a dog, but the only one I was around was Ginger, my grandma's corgi. She's lovely but I like big dogs.

Sean gave me a semi-dirty look. "Do you have an idea how much chaos they cause?"

I chuckled. "Yes, but they're so lovable."

"Big dogs need a lot of space, our apartment isn't that big." He rolled his eyes, dropping against his chair. Then, he sent me a weird look. "But I'll get one if you'll be his babysitter." He winked.

"That would be quite impractical for both of us."

"It'd take you to my place every day, that's enough for me." Sean shrugged.

The lecture began soon after, but I couldn't shrug off the feeling that we're not on the same page here. Either he plays around and flirts like that with all his female friends, or he doesn't actually consider me just a friend.