39

"I need to talk to you," Derek announced as he burst into his parents' kitchen a month later.

"Hello, son, it's nice to see you too," Michael laughed as he looked up from his paper. "Long time no see."

"Derek," Emma smiled, standing to hug her son. "We weren't expecting you. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," he breathed. "I just...I came here straight from work. Mer's still in school and I need to talk to you when she's not around. Which really isn't that much anymore, and that's kind of why I need to talk to you, because it has to be a surprise, and...oh, god, I'm rambling."

"You are," Michael shook his head. "I knew that girl must have had to have a flaw somewhere."

"The rambling's perfect," Derek countered before he turned to his mother. "I need your ring."

"What?" Emma's eyes widened, automatically cradling her ring against her chest. "What for?"

"To give to Mer," Derek said. "I'm going to propose. I don't know when, but I'm going to propose."

"Oh, Derek," Emma breathed, dropping her hand from her chest to pull her son into her arms. "That's wonderful."

"Congratulations, son," Michael smiled, clapping Derek on the back as he pulled his son into an embrace. "She's perfect for you."

"I know," Derek nodded. "But you promised I could have Mom's ring when I found the right girl."

"What?" Emma asked, turning to her husband with wide eyes. "When did you tell him that?"

"I...." Michael glanced between his wife and his son, obviously not having expected to be in this situation anytime soon. "Um..."

"Michael Aidan Shepherd, did you tell our son he could steal my engagement ring?" Emma demanded.

"I didn't say he could steal it," Michael defended. "I just thought it would be nice for the girl who's going to carry on the Shepherd name to have the ring that represents our love. It's brought us thirty years of happiness and five amazing children, six if you count that Sloan kid. I want Derek to have that kind of life, and I know it has more to do with how he approaches his life than the ring his wife wears, but I just thought it would be nice for Meredith to wear it."

"I love this ring, Michael," Emma said quietly. "It hasn't come off my finger in thirty years."

"I know," he smiled, bringing her hand to her lips to kiss the back of her hand. "I love it too. But I'll buy you a new ring. One that you can pick out yourself, as big as you want."

Emma stared down at her ring for a moment, tears filling her eyes. After a moment, she turned to Derek who was looking at her with curious eyes. "Meredith is a wonderful girl," she said softly. "She's very well suited for you. And she loves you a lot. It really means a lot to you to have this ring, doesn't it?"

"I want Mer to wear the ring that represents the love you and Dad have," Derek said softly. "But I don't want you to beat yourself up over this. If you really don't want to give it up, I'll get it."

Emma inhaled deeply as she looked closely at Michael for a moment, then reached down for her engagement ring. She had to twist it hard a few times to make it come off, but when it finally did, she looked down at it softly for a moment before she handed it to Derek. "Don't you dare taint what this ring means," she said. "She's the one, Derek. Don't let her go."

"Thank you," Derek whispered, pulling his mother into a tight hug. "I love you, Mom. Thank you."

"I love you too," Emma smiled. "When are you going to propose? Soon? By Christmass?"