Chapter 21: A Friend with A Benefit

"Yoonie? What are you doing here?"

Caught off guard, Yoonie jumped as her name was being called. Slowly, she turns around from the door of Gahyeon's ward - wondering if she had been found out by the perpetrators of the missing drugs.

She heaved a sigh of relief - relieved that it was just Hyewon.

"Ms Hyewon! I'm just visiting a friend. What about you? Are you hurt?"

Hyewon shook her head sideways, nodding towards a fellow employee dressed in his restauranteering uniform standing by the dispensary. There was a lady dressed in Noble-Servant Brown on the other side of the counter, seeming to explain the prescribed mediation for him. That's the guy who served me and Chaewon the other day... What's his name again?

"Just bringing one of my employees to get a dressing - a little accident in the kitchen while closing up today," Hyewon explained, a little frown stretching across her face. She quickly straightened herself as her employee returned to her side, hand carrying the clear pack of medication. His other hand was wrapped in a clean dressing and slung across his other shoulder. The bandage was dressed impeccably by the staff at the hospital.

"Ma'am, the nurse said I'll be fine now. Thank you for accommodating my clumsiness," he bowed gratefully towards the owner of the restaurant, apologetic for inconveniencing her well after closing hours.

"No, no - it's alright, Jeno. I'm just glad you're alright." Hyewon assured him, forcing a smile despite the dark circles around her eyes.

"I'll be taking my leave now - have a good evening." Jeno nodded towards Hyewon, then Yoonie, signalling that he would be heading off and leaving the girls to their conversation. They returned an equal farewell, watching as he walked out, disappearing from their view.

"What exactly happened? Did he burn himself?" Yoonie asked, curious about the way his entire left arm had been mummified. Both sat themselves down at the waiting area outside the wards as they resumed where they left off.

"Some idiot left empty glass bottles on the top shelf, and we can't seem to find out who did it." While cleaning up the cabinets for the night, a couple bottles rolled out of their compartments, crashing onto the countertop below. Several glass shards impaled his skin and caused bleeding as they crashed beside him, much to the alarm of the owner. What had meant to be another successful day of service at The Coast and Cake turned for the absolute worst as a result of this accident.

"Ah, I'm sorry to hear that," Yoonie replied, sharing her woes. Before Yoonie could continue with another word of concern, the silence between them was broken with the rambunctious sound of a rumbling tummy - belonging to none other than Hyewon.

"Gosh, sorry about that."

"You must be starving. Let me get you something to eat - just stay here, Ms Hyewon." Yoonie offered, as she nipped on over to the nearby cafe to grab a sandwich and hot cocoa for the worn-out owner.

"Thanks, Yoonie... You are too kind." Within seconds of undoing the paper packaging, Hyewon munched down ravenously on the pork katsu sandwich, demolishing it with her bulldozing teeth. She must be dying of hunger - she didn't even bother with applying the sauce... Poor thing. Hyewon wiped her mouth of any remnant crumbs, then taking her hot beverage as Yoonie held up the cup.

"How are things with the restaurant?"

Hyewon exhaled a deep breath as she relaxed to the sweet beverage consumed. Yoonie could almost sense the fumes emitting from her nostrils as she breathed. "Everything's... alright...It's just that, I've never owned a business before - so I'm still trying to learn the ropes."