Chapter 2: Field Trip

A/N: This chapter will contain a lot of information - but I promise you that you will understand the magical world I've created so much better after reading it! 

The first day of class wasn't quite what Yoonie had expected - as their teacher instructed all of the students to leave their belongings in the room while they headed out for a tour of the Capital, Sotia included. 

Thank god, before I end up in someone else's shower on accident. 

Everyone jumped out of their seats with vigour in their step, excited to finally be able to explore the vast immensity of Sotia. This place was massive - even the size of the front yard looked to be the length of a runway.

The teacher, who had introduced herself as Ms Wendy, held onto her short wand as she directed the students out of the classroom. "Let's start with the classroom block, where we are now. This is inarguably the most frequent place you will visit during your time in Sotia. You will notice that the classrooms are named, in alphabetical order, after ancient magicians who have once contributed to the Kingdom: Avarius, Belkamor, Crystal, Duriqa.... all the way to Zico." She explained while casually walking down the corridor, with the rest of us following behind. "The alphabets indicate the level of the classes. Once you hit the letter 'Z', you should be nearing graduation - so there's still a long way to go!" Wendy span around, explaining enthusiastically. 

Next, she led us up a short flight of stairs to the centermost region of the school. Right before us was a massive conference hall with what seemed to be endless rows of seats facing the center of the room. In the center, there was an elevated platform - a stage - where speakers would take their places and address the audience at their two sides. "Welcome to the Hall of Sayers - this is where large-scale speeches are given by the school to the entire student population. And up there," Wendy points her wand to upwards, behind the podium, "is a dedicated spot for King Jang and the royalty. The King does not usually attend our grand functions - unless it is of great importance that requires his presence.", to which she explained, in brief, the proceedings of greeting the King when he does grace the occasion.

"And just outside the Hall, down to the left, is the cafeteria. A capacity that can house up to 3,000 diners - it is a dining hall fit for our prestigious magical academy. Not to mention that every third Monday of the month is cake day for Sotia!" She composed herself, almost drooling at the thought of the irresistible delicacy. 

"Ooh... I hope they serve mint chocolate oreo souffle cheesecakes." 

"Oreo?" Yoonie asked instinctively, hearing the term for the first time, "What's that?" 

"The black biscuit with cream in the middle?" Nako added, to which Yoonie shook her head at a loss. "You've never had an Oreo before?" Yoonie scratches her head sheepishly as she giggled. "No, never - I don't think I've seen any black biscuits before, let alone one that has cream inside."

"You're totally missing out, Yoonie! I'll bring some for you at lunch tomorrow." 

"Thank you, Nako. Say, you must be staying with your family in the Capital?" Yoonie guessed. 

"Before coming to Sotia, yes - but my parents sent me to stay in the dorms so that I could focus on studying. They want me to follow in the footsteps of my elder brother and sister, who are two mages serving in the Queen's Shield." 

"The Queen's what?"

"Hold on now, Nako - We'll get to that part of the tour later." Wendy overhears the conversation between Nako and Yoonie, telling her to hold her horses for a more nuanced explanation. "Alright, here we are, these are called <Ignitos> - small controlled rooms where magicians are allowed to use their full power to practise magic." Wendy makes everyone halt at the stone pathway Yoonie saw earlier from her room. There were an odd twenty or so of these stone chambers with colourful lights - powerful spells - blasting from within, which explained why they were built: to contain all the wild magic from within. "One day, you will all have the chance to showcase your talent in the Ignito. And there is one larger one here called the <Grand Ignito>. This is where you will be evaluated towards the end of your Sotia journey before you officially graduate as a full-fledged magician - what we call <Embers>."