Chapter 3: Magic and Oreos

Taking a moment to shed the sleep from her mind, Yoonie stretched her arms over her head, tossing and turning in her bed. Still not used to the texture of the mattress, Yoonie pounded her sore back with her fist in an attempt to ward away the ache. Things here were unlike that of the Common Circle where the orphanage was, and at the edges of the country. People lived much lavish lives compared to the common folk, and food was so much in abundance. She wondered how possible it could be for the Kingdom to support the commoners better - with better quality ways of life. Perhaps, if she worked hard enough - she could make it happen. 

Sitting at the edge of her bed, Yoonie stared blankly at her window, admiring the incandescent sunlight greeting her a good morning. It cast its warmth all across the interior of Yoonie's hostel room, giving life to the maroon and mocha-coloured walls, initially void of spirit. 

I miss home. I miss the orphanage; I miss the sisters, the kids, my old bed. And I miss Karina, so much. Yoonie thought, her eyes a far ways as she gazed into the horizon. The view outside of her window comprised of the side lawn around the school, and a few Ignitos located about half a mile away. Some students were spotted strolling over in twos and threes - perhaps heading for their first lesson of the day. 

Still, it feels great to be in Sotia.

Yoonie sprang from her daydream, willing herself to wash up, grab some breakfast, and head for class. The remainder of yesterday's class (after lunch) involved having all the students introduce themselves and what magical affinities they possessed. Apparently, Yoonie was one of the elder students in class, but that didn't really bother her at all - knowing that she need only rely on her hard work and grit to advance to the higher grades. 

"You're also a Light user? That's great, we can practise our magic together!" The memory of Nako's unconcealed mirth etched itself deep into Yoonie's head - making her smile on her own like a complete lunatic. 

Then, thinking about the teaser Ms Wendy gave for today's lesson, Yoonie couldn't help to feel butterflies in her stomach. Today, they were going to learn about mana - the powerful life source every magician needed to tap on in order to conjure spells. After heading to the cafeteria for a simple, yet mouth-watering peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, Yoonie picked up her pace, making sure to be on time for class. Food and accommodation were fully paid for Yoonie here - but that didn't mean that she would stuff her face with food (would it? Let's find out five years later when Yoonie graduates <3 ).

"Morning Yoonie~" Nako sang in hushed tones to Yoonie, greeting her as she arrived. 

"Hey Nako. Had a good sleep?"

"You bet. It's so nice to have a room all to myself." She accidentally hints at her unpleasant experiences staying with her family. "What about you? You don't look like you slept well," Nako commented, noting the shadows in Yoonie's eyebags. "or did you do some exploring around the school last night?" 

"Nuh-uh. I couldn't stop tossing and turning in bed." Just as Yoonie finishes her sentence, everyone in class straightened with the arrival of Ms Wendy - her blonde and short hair immaculately combed, complementing her frost-blue sweater. 

"So as I mentioned yesterday, today's class will be all about "mana". There's going to be a lot to take in - do take down notes and ask questions at any time." She cautioned, earning the attention of some of the more studious students.

"Before we dive into the topic of mana, let me explain what we know about magic, and how it works. There are some fundamental rules that you must always remember when using it."

She steps towards the blackboard, painting her finger in the air. Miraculously, a faint white ink paints itself, letting her scribble on the board. "Firstly, every living thing possesses mana.  Not just humans, but animals and plants also possess mana. This means that with the right skills, you can tap on the magical energies of another living being. Mana is transferrable."