Chapter 15: Revenge and Regret

Benny woke up from the second dream, only barely conscious. The rain beat down on him, causing his head to be drenched in the rain. He looked around, trying to remember what he'd seen. He focused on the final voice, the one that seemed oh so familiar to him.

'W-anyone here?' he called out nervously. His voice echoed around the alley. No one was there. He covered his face with a bag, to shield himself from the pouring rain, as he walked towards where is best friend's body once lay. 'I truly hope you somehow, some-way managed to survive this. In this crazy world you dragged me into, you must be alive- please' he sat beside it and sobbed.

Someone walked over 'You good kid?' a man- maybe middle-aged had walked down the alley. It seemed that the tree had disappeared.

Benny nodded 'Yea, my friend died here today. I feel to blame.' The man nodded and watched.

'I once fought a man who told me that my family would die, but I'd become all powerful. I was so mad anyone would make that offer, I killed him' he punched the floor, making an obvious crater in the ground. Benny stared in awe.

'Well, my dad died and left me this weapon. My brother killed him' he eyes changed stormy slightly as he stood up. 'I must kill him, get my revenge'

The man shook his head 'No, you must never take revenge. I learned that the hard way.' the man stood up. His eyes became red from tears and pulled out a knife. 'This blade is the blade that killed that man. The man visited me the next day and killed my family, telling me that all magic comes at a price '

Benny reached for the dagger. The dagger disappeared in a puff of smoke. 'But- why can't I take my well-deserved revenge? He killed my father!'

'Look, kid, you will regret it so much! I should know,' he said this proudly but miserable at the same time. He began walking down the road 'follow me, kid, there's something I need to show you.'

Benny nodded 'yes sire, but where are we going' he asked quietly.

'To see my family' he muttered sadly.

They walked along the road, and turned left into an old cemetery. There were a collection of graves, some with names he knew and didn't know.

'Hey, that's my dad's name.' Benny pointed at a grave. Wolfe Lancelot was carved along the top, with 'beloved father and husband' written under it. He sighed 'Hello dad.' he muttered, as he carried on walking. 'Hey, he only died yesterday. Or today, or whatever. How is his grave already here' he asked.

The man stopped. 'Magic, kid, magic.' he chuckled 'Nope. Obviously not magic, he was known to be in the building when it exploded. his wife attended his funeral, but after that... She was also never seen again. She was alive, sure, but no one knew where. We had people look for her for years-' he pointed to another few stones. 'There. That's why we are here' he said trying to change the subject.

Along the graves were different names, and different numbers. 'Why did you bring me here' Benny asked.

The man nodded. 'Forgot to mention. Remember the family that I lost? Yea, this is them' he sighed and knelt in front of them, muttering some things.

Benny tilted his head 'OK, so I am just going to sit back and watch my brother run free for killing my dad?' he shouted, fists clenched.

The man looked over. His eyes seemed sore with tears. 'Look here, kid, nothing ever goes the way it is meant to' he stood up. His clothes had seemingly changed to a funeral black coat with an umbrella. He seemed to look straight through Benny. 'They were my life, my everything' he said, as if talking to an audience. Benny turned around, there was-in fact- an audience. 'I wish I'd spent more time with them when they were alive' he muttered, walking back to his seat.

The audience disappeared. 'See? Regret is. Everything. Never take revenge' he said.

Benny nodded slowly 'So I will trust a crazy guy- no. I will go, nothing you do will stop me' he said confidently.

The man frowned, the umbrella turning into a sword. 'Then fight me. Fight your urge to get revenge.' he stood ready to kill Benny.

The shiny sword formed in Benny's hand, 'So what, if I kill you, I am allowed to leave?' he asked.

The man shook his head 'No. You will learn what you must, before you do what you must.'

Benny tiled his head 'B-but I thought you didn't want me doing this.'

The man nodded. 'I will be there when you need me, just call my name'

Benny nodded 'Gonna tell me your name?'

The man nodded. 'Rory, Lord of Revenge and Regret'

Benny frowned 'So why can't you just do everything yourself, you seem powerful enough' he walked closer.

Rory swung his sword at Benny. 'Fight me!' he shouted.

Someone appeared to Benny's right, with a beard and staff. 'Stand down Rory, no one needs to listen to what you've gone through!' his voice was deep and ancient. They stood still.

A circle opened behind Rory, as the new person ran over and tackled him through the circle. They both disappeared.