Chapter 4

|Scar Mejia|

I chuckled as Allison kicked Scott's foot, making him falling off the rock climbing wall.

"I don't know why, McCall, but your pain gives me a special kind of joy." Coach Finstock laughed, "Who's next?! Uh, Megia, Erica! Let's go. The wall."

I sighed, rolling my eyes, "It's Mejia. Ma-he-a."

"Whatever. Climb the wall."

I easily climbed to the top and hit the button but on my way back down, I noticed that Erica was hyperventilating.

"Hey. Are you okay?" I whispered to her.

"Erica. Are you dizzy? Is it vertigo?" Coach asked.

"Vertigo's a dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear. She's just freaking out." I heard a girl say.

I reached out my hand, "Erica, just let go of the wall. You'll be fine. There's a mat on the ground to catch you... I'll, uh, let go with you. Ready?"

She nodded.

"One, two, three." I counted and we let go of the wall.

We safety landed on the mat.

"You okay?" I asked her.

She nodded again, weakly smiling. Everyone was laughing at her. I glared at them and they backed off.
__________________________________

The first half of the day went by eerily slow. I took a bite of the pizza in front of me, instantly spitting it out.

"Nope. It looks like pizza...smells like pizza... but it don't taste like it." I pushed the sad excuse for a school lunch away from me.

"Doesn't."

I looked at Stiles, "What?"

"You said that it don't taste like it, the correct grammar is doesn't." He corrected me.

"Stiles?"

"Yeah."

"Shut up."

Scott laughed at our banter. I looked up, hearing the clicking of someone's heels. Holy shit. It was Erica. She bent over the table and took a bite of some boy's apple.

"What... the holy hell... Is that?" A red-haired girl asked.

"It's Erica."

She took another bite out of the apple before walking out.

"Stay here." Scott and Stiles told me as they ran out after here. Great.
__________________________________

As soon the bell rung, my phone buzzed with a text:

[Come to the rink asap. Might need back-up.
-Scott: 5 minutes ago.]

I headed down to the rink, hoping that I wasn't too late. A lot can happen in 5 minutes. I walked into the rink to see Derek with his foot on Scott's neck.

"Derek. Let him up."

Derek looked at me and listened. A dark-skinned male hopped off the machine that cleans the ice.

"Don't. You don't wanna be like them." Scott told him.

"You're right. I wanna be like you." He said, showing the bite mark on his side.

I walked past Isaac, Erica, and Derek to help Scott up.

"You're late." He glared at me.

__________________________________