Chapter 43

{Gavin}

{Gavin}

'Why does she get to tickle?' JJ asks as we all sit still remaining in Kie's car. The sun had long gone down as we waited for the right time to call the pilot. 'She's the best.' Pope replies. 'Should I do an accent?' Kie asks. 'Definitely disguise your voice.' Pope answers. 'How would you like me to talk?' Kie asks in an English accent. 'Not like that.' JJ says and Pope and I nod in agreement. 'Batman.' Pope suggests.

'Batman.' Kie lowers her voice. 'Spot-on. Let's do it.' Pope says and I send her the thumbs up as she begins dialling Gavin's number. Placing her phone on the hand rest she puts her phone on speaker. We all sit there silently as the phone continues to ring until he answers. 'Hello?' He asks. 'Hello.' Kie answers in her Batman voice, turning to look at me as I place my hands on my mouth stopping myself from laughing. 'I can't.' She whispers. 'Just talk.' Pope motions and she sighs. 'Hello?' He asks again. 'Is Gavin there?' Kie clears her throat. 'This is Gavin. Who's this? Hello?' He says and I roll my eyes. 'I know what happened on the tarmac.' Kie tells him as she glances at the three of us. 'Um..who's this?' He nervously chuckles. 'It was Rafe Cameron.' I take over talking as I notice Kie starting to get nervous. 'But you already knew that, and you lied about it.' I raise my voice a little. 'Okay. Who is this?' He asks and I roll my eyes. 'We're gonna prove it, you're guilty.' I state. 'You're gonna tell me who this is now.' He demands I let out a devilish chuckle. 'You could have saved her, Gavin, and you didn't. And you're not getting away with this even if I have to deal with you myself.' I argue. 'Listen to me!' He yells and I roll my eyes hanging up the phone. I slouch back down on my chair and let out a sigh of frustration. I glance at the others and they were all looking at me. 'What?' I snap at them. 'Nothing. Yeah, I was scared. Good job.' JJ jokes and I scoff as I glance out the window.

'All right. We tickled the wire. Phase two complete. Now we wait and listen.' Pope states and I nod my head in agreement. 'Okay.' Kie shrugs. 'What's going to happen after all this is done?' I ask turning around and looking at JJ specifically. 'You just going to go back ignoring me?' I question them with an angry tone and JJ lets out a sigh. 'Jackie..' he goes to speak and I scoff. 'Do you know what? Just forget it. I don't even care.' I cut him off as I take out my blunt and light it before taking a hit. 'You still smoke?' Pope asks and I roll my eyes taking another hit. 'It helps me to relax, so I smoke a lot now.' I reply and he sighs. We all sit in the car waiting in silence. 'Hey, here he comes. Stay down.' Pope demands as we all quickly lay down in the car out of eyes view, we watch as Gavin gets into his car and starts driving down the road. 'Hit it.' JJ says tapping his hand on Kie's shoulder. 'Go, go, go, go, go.' Pope repeats as Kie starts the ignition and slowly drives behind him.

'He's talking to Ward.' Pope announces as we continue to follow Gavin down the road, I could feel my blood boil with anger at the mention of his name. As if JJ knew what I was thinking he places his hand on my thigh and gives it a reassuring squeeze, I glance down at my knee and look closely as his hand. All I wanted to do was pull him closer to me and kiss him. I quickly grab his hand and shove it away from me and he looks at me with a sadden expression before turning around to face the front. 'Get closer. I can't hear.' Pope orders Kie and she nods as she picks up a little speed. 'He's talking about negotiating something.' Pope says as he concentrates on the conversation. 'Gavin's got the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin.' Pope says looking at Kie before looking back at JJ and I. My eyes widen in shock. 'Holy shit.' Kie sighs. 'I think he's trying to use it as extortion, as leverage.' Pope suggests.

Wait. He's pulling over.' Kie says as she presses the breaks. 'Shit. He's panicking.' Pope tells us. 'Do I pull behind him? What do I do?' She asks and I sigh. 'Go around the block.' JJ and Pope tell her in unison. 'Yeah, just go.' I confirm. 'We're gonna lose him.' I say as I look out my window at his car as we drive past. 'I can't hear anything. Shit. I'm losing the signal.' Pope beings to panic. 'Shit.' I curse hitting my hand off the seat. 'What the hell is this?' JJ questions. 'What?' I ask leaning forward to see what he was talking about. A single yellow road block laid out on the road blocking our way. 'Pull in here and back up.' JJ instructs. 'I'm just gonna back up.' She says as she starts to reverse the car as a large machines pulls out behind us.' Are you kidding?' JJ and I yell in unison before glancing at each other. 'Hey! We were about to back up.' JJ looks away from me as he opens the door and leans out yelling at the man. 'What are you doing?' Kie asks Pope as he hops out of the car and starts running down the street. 'You literally had to do that now?' I ask the man as I pop my head out the window. 'Wait! Pope!' I yell as JJ and I quickly hop out and run after him. 'We gotta know where they're meeting.' Pope shouts back at us and I look at JJ.' He's right.' I tell him and he nods as we pick up running down the street after him and Kie following behind us.

We run after Pope as we race through backyards and over fences. 'Go! Go!' JJ yells as him, kie and I jump over the fence. 'Pope!' Kie yells out trying to grab his attention. We see Pope hop over a gate and quickly follow after him. We hop over the gate and there was a few people in the pool. 'Yo, Pope.' A familiar voice looks at Pope confused. 'Hey.' He replies turning around and falls over the swings and he searches the grass as we land on it. 'Katherine?' I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as I look over at the pool at the familiar people. 'Jackie?' She asks as her eyes widen in shock. 'Sean? Ah, this is where you live, you Kook.' JJ says. 'Pope! Did you hear something?' I ask as we continue running after Pope. 'He..He's meeting Ward right now. We gotta go.' Pope tells us. 'Come on.' Kie says as her and Pope start running back to the car. I stand there still in my spot as I take a deep breath. 'Are you okay, Jackie?' JJ asks turning around to face me. 'Y-Yeah. Just been a little while since I've had a good run like that.' I chuckle and he laughs as a faint smile appears on his face. 'You still got it.' JJ says as he pulls a strand of my hair behind my ear, I place my hand on his stopping him from pulling it back down beside him and brush my cheek against it and give it a gentle kiss. 'Jackie..' he goes to speak. 'Ssh. We can talk about us later for now we need to hurry.' I say and he nods in agreement as he interlocks his hand with mine and we run down the street back to the car

To Be Continued...