Chapter 7

{I Was Under Duress}

'And we were right outside like this.' JJ says leaning against the wall of the Chateau. 'And all we hear is just, Bam! Bam! Bam! Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside. All right? And I'm just looking at him like—wait first, look at this shit.' JJ continues coming over to where Kie and Pope are sitting, shaking the paint off his hair onto the table 'That's dandruff, disgusting.' Kie says and I snicker.

'At that point, I was just waiting for death.' He states. 'Oh, okay, so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?' Pope asks him. 'Yeah.' JJ pants. 'Did you get a good description of them?' Pope elaborates. 'What do they look like?' Kie asks as I start playing with my father's watch on my wrist. 'Anything we could bring to like a police report?' Pope suggests to JJ. 'No, we can't go to the cops. They'll find out we know about the wreck and we'd just be putting Lana in more danger.' John B explains and I sigh before nodding in agreement.

'Burly.' JJ answers. 'Burly?' Pope questions. 'Yeah. You know, like—the type of guy at my dad's garage.' JJ explains. 'That's not helpful.' Kie groans. 'I can tell you with full confidence that these boys, these killers, their square groupers.' JJ says leaning against the wall and taking a hit from his blunt. 'They're square groupers, like narco square groupers?' Pope asks. 'Yeah, Man.' JJ nods taking another hit. 'You guys, not everything is a kingpin move.' Kie states. 'Okay, so what does this square grouper look like? Specifically?' Pope asks looking at JJ. 'You weren't there, bro.' JJ shouts. 'Well, apparently you don't know what to look for.' Pope argues. 'Dude! I wasn't taking little mental Polaroids the entire time. I was under duress, okay?' JJ starts to panic.

'Hey, calm down.' I say grabbing his wrist and pulling him in for a hug. He wraps his arms tightly around my waist and lays his head in the crook of my neck. After a moment of JJ taking deep breaths trying to calm himself, he finally collects himself and pulls away from me. 'But I can tell you...I can tell you by the way that Ms., Lana was screaming, that these guys are serious hombres, man.' JJ states as my brother takes out the compass and looks at it, my eyes go directly to it and I sigh.

'It's a heavy vibe right now, okay?' JJ says. I'm not liking this very much.' He adds and we all take deep breaths. 'Why would they want the compass?' Kie questions and we all look at each other furrowing our eyebrows in confusion. 'It's a piece of shit. You couldn't pawn it off for five bucks if you wanted to.' Pope and I send him a glare. 'No offence.' He raises his hand in defence and I sigh. 'The office.' John B says walking inside the house as we all look at him.

'My dad. Dad's office.' He says walking towards the room as we follow behind. 'He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his royal merchant research.' John B explains. 'Jackie and I used to laugh at him like he was gonna find it.' He states and I sigh. 'But now that he's gone, we've just kinda..we just left it as he kept it.' My brother mumbles as we stare at the door. 'Yeah for when he gets back.' Kie says as Pope and JJ look at her.