Chapter 16

{I love you}

{I love you}

The next morning, I woke up to the sun blaring through my blinds I could hear JJ's soft, cute snores. I glance up and see him snuggle close to me with his arm still around me. 'Good morning.' I whisper as I place a kiss on his forehead. 'Morning, beautiful.' He yawns as he stretches his arms out. 'God, I love waking up to this every morning now.' He smiles and I chuckle. 'You hungry?' I ask him as a devilish smirk appears on his face as he hovers over me and pins my arms down on the bed.

'JJ..' I say softly and he smiles down at me as his hair falls from his face, he is utterly breathtaking and I love every single thing about him. 'I'm hungry for something else.' He whispers as he pulls me in for a kiss and I melt into his embrace, he trails kisses from my lips down to my stomach as I let out a soft moan. 'JJ..' I whisper. 'Hmm.' He continues trailing kisses down my body.

'W-We need to go to Heyward's.' I say and he rolls his eyes coming back up to meet my face. 'We'll leave in 20 minutes.' He says kissing me once again, I wrap my arms around his neck, and I pull him closer to me deepening our kiss. Things were starting to get intimidating, but JJ pulled away for a second as his ocean-blue eyes looked into mine. 'Are you sure? If you're not ready then it's okay.' He assures me and I smile at him on how comforting he's being. 'I'm not ready..' I sigh and he nods placing a kiss on my forehead. 'Then I'll wait till you are.' He reassures me pulling me in for a kiss before sitting up on the bed. Butterflies erupt in my stomach on how reassuring he was and wanting to wait until I was ready, I hit the jackpot with him.

***

'Don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us.' JJ assures Pope that he, Kie and I help him in his dad's shop. 'That's typical Kook shit right there.' I scoff and Kie nods in agreement. 'Hell, yeah.' She says placing a stack of drinks on the shelf. 'What was your thought process using your head?' JJ asks. 'I don't know, man. I just kind of acted out on instinct. I was a cornered animal.' Pope explains.

'Hey, Pope, someone here to see you.' Heyward announces coming into the shop, and behind him walks in Officer Shoupe. I immediately get in front of Pope and grab his hand giving it a reassuring squeeze. 'Evening, Officer.' Pope mutters and I sigh. 'I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property.' Shoupe states and Pope and I glance at JJ with a worried expression. 'Ms Routledge, out of my way.' Shoupe orders standing in front of me. 'No, he did nothing wrong.' I shout standing my ground.

'Jackie Routledge! You have five seconds to get out of my way before I arrest you too. Do you want to be taken in and separated from your brother?' He shouts at me and I let out a sigh knowing what he said is true. If I get arrested then DCS will come and get me and take me away from Outerbanks, the Pogues and my brother. 'I-' I mutter but Pope pushes me out of the way before I can say another word.

Shoupe pulls Pope in front of him and handcuffs him. 'You're just arresting my boy?' Heyward shouts. 'Be careful!' Kie yells at Shoupe as he drags Pope. 'Shoupe, are you listening?' Heywards yells. 'How much did they pay you, man? How much?' JJ asks Shoupe as he pulls Pope out of the shop, we all follow them outside.

Everything became a big blur for me, it was all happening in slow motion as JJ tried to pull the officer away from Pope but I pulled him back. I looked at Pope and he wasn't showing any expression, he was just numb and my heart broke for him, everything he worked for, his scholarship was about to get thrown out the window.

'It wasn't him! It was me.' JJ yells walking over beside me, my jaw drops in shock as I look at him and he sends me an apologetic look. 'He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he and Jackie had just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit.' He explains walking closer to Pope and the officer.

Kie quickly walks over to me and wraps her hands around my shoulder to keep me from falling to the ground, either way, one of our friends is going to jail today. 'I can't let you take the blame for something I did. You've got too much to lose.' JJ shrugs looking straight at Pope. 'JJ, what are you doing?' Pope asks and tears start streaming down my face.

'I'm telling the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth.' He states glimpsing back at me with a sad expression. 'I took his old man's boat, too.' He continues and I burst into tears as Kie pulls me in for a hug and strokes her hand through my hair. 'What the hell?' Heyward asks looking at JJ with disappointment. 'JJ, please.' I beg. 'Shut up, Jackie!' He yells turning around to me, his face softens as our eyes meet.

'Just please, babe.' JJ says softly as tears start to fall from his face. 'He's a good kid. You know where I'm from.' JJ says clearing his throat and turning around to face Shoupe again. 'Yeah.' Shoupe confirms. 'This was all me.' JJ states looking at Pope. 'That's the whole truth?' Shoupe asks Pope. 'Whole truth, swear to god.' JJ answers and Shoupe rolls his eyes. 'I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope.' Shoupe yells and Pope sighs. He hesitates for a minute glancing at me with an apologetic look. 'Yeah, that about covers it.' Pope sighs looking at the ground.

Shoupe takes off the cuffs from Pope's hands and JJ turns around so he can put them on JJ. His eyes meet mine once again and I quickly run over to him and wrap my arms around his neck, crying into his shoulders. 'Please, please, don't leave me..' I sob as he places a kiss on my head. 'Just give them a moment, please.' Pope pleads to Shoupe and he sighs before nodding.

'I'm gonna be okay, I promise.' He whispers into my ear and I lift my head to look at him. 'Your dad, JJ! You know what he'll do when he gets the call from the police station.' I say in fear and he nods as tears fall from his face. 'I don't care what happens to me, as long as you're okay.' He says with a faint smile. 'JJ..' I whisper and he looks at me as a faint smile appears on his face. 'I love you, Jackie!' He announces and my eyes widen in shock. 'I love you so fucking much.' He says with a smile as more tears fall from his face.

'I love you too, JJ.' I say with a smile before pulling him in for a kiss. After a moment I pull away from the kiss. 'Come back to me.' I whisper to him as Shoupe grabs him and pulls him into the car. 'I'll always.' He smiles as Shoupe closes the door on him. He starts the car up and drives away, JJs eyes never leave mine until the car goes around the corner out of eyesight.

Pope rips his hat off his head and throws it on the ground, cursing and screaming. I look at Kie. 'Keep an eye on him.' I say before running down the road. 'Jackie!' Kie calls out for me but I ignore her and keep running down the road as tears keep falling from my face. I just ran! I ran as far away as I could. I needed to get away, I had to catch my breath and process everything. I was lost for words, I didn't know how to react.

My brother is still missing and hasn't come back home yet. JJ and I told each other we love one another before he was arrested and now he's going to suffer the consequences when he gets home and I can't do anything to help him. I ran until I came to a familiar place, my home, the chateau. I run inside and hop in to have a cold shower. Hopefully washing away all the stress and fear but it never helped. After a while I got a message from Kie, she wants me to stay the night at hers and go to midsummer's tomorrow. She said it would be a good distraction but I don't know if I can be in the same place as Kooks, but I decided to go for Kie.

To Be Continued...