44. The same place

Mulai dari awal

He was behind her now as she knew the way from here. She was silent but not jittery. The nerves had left her the moment she entered inside his car. This was it. This was her reality and not that she had invited him into her space. He came willingly so now it was only fitting if he saw what her life was.

The elderly shop owner across the street looked at them and Elaf nodded at him. His response was an affectionate smile. Sarim found the exchange sweet but didn't say anything.

Stopping outside of a rust colored door at the distance of a mere feet, Elaf rummaged through her purse and took out the key.

"This is it."

She said turning around towards him. She was standing in a way that the small door was hidden behind her, not entirely, seeing her frame was small but still enough to convey the point across. He could leave. It was up to him if he wanted to come but she hadn't made any move to invite him.

He'd invite himself. No biggie.

"I want to say Hi to Auntie and Uncle. You don't have a problem with that right?"

Elaf sighed, already expecting this would be his answer. She nodded and opened the door. Moving to the side she gave him the room to come in and he did.

The house was small. Not grand in any way but it had a touch of warmth to it. Sarim hadn't visited her place at Jauhar because they never needed to. So it was basically his first time being in a place which belonged to Elad Daud.

"Elaf! You're back?"

The voice came from the innermost section of the house. The hallway led up to the living area. Elaf motioned him to follow her inside.

Yusra was already standing there. She opened her mouth to say something but seeing Sarim behind Elaf her face formed into a pleasant expression. It was a mixture of surprise and relief.

"Sarim?"

She remembered him. Even though they had met just a handful of times she hadn't forgotten.

Sarim greeted her with a smile. Elaf watched them and without saying anything placed her purse on the table and went inside.

"Baba's asleep?"

She asked and Yusra affirmed. She was already making a fuss that they had a guest over but Sarim stopped her politely saying he was just leaving.

"It's good to see a familiar face after so long. I was almost sure that this girl will not be contacting any of you again even though I told her countless times. But thank god she at least tried."

Sarim smiled but the look he threw Elaf's way wasn't at all pleasant. She stood her ground.

"Do visit more often. You didn't even let me prepare tea."

He saw Elaf still standing there. Her body language wasn't hostile. It was almost calm. He read it as it is. This was her place and her life and she had given him a glimpse of it. Now it was up to him if he decided to linger or just turn back.

Ha. As if.

"Some other time, Auntie. I can't say no to tea and the treats you used to send for Irma. So, it's due when I visit next."

Elaf raised an eyebrow. Sarim smirked. He had given his verdict. He wasn't just vanishing. It was her forte. He was staying. Come what may.

She was behind him now as he made his way towards the door.

Her eyes were downcast. He was looking straight ahead. She was contemplating her decision. He was as sure as he was six years back.

"I'll see you tomorrow then."