Elaf looked down at the plain surface of her work desk and closed her eyes.

She wasn't dreaming. This was actually happening.

It was almost comical that the life altering changes that were lurking around both of them still couldn't hide them from each others' eyes. He knew it was her and she knew it was him.

He was there in his Head of the wing glory, something now that she thought with a somewhat calm mind, wasn't that much of an absurdity. He was always best at his work, knew the procedures and was excellent in whatever he got his hands into.

And she was where everyone had always told her she'd be. Working a desk job and being a junior in the team.

The contrasts between them were stark but for a moment, tiny, infinitesimal and barely there moment.

She let herself just think of both of them as just Elaf and Sarim.

Who had run into each other after six long years with all the said and unsaid and delays and missed chances and stolen glances.

And just like that the moment was over.

Elaf straightened up in her seat and settled her hair to make herself look presentable and not shaken at all.

She could do this. Facades had always been her good friends. Then on stage and now in this running life. She'd do just fine.

But she forgot that the person she was going to put this facade on always saw through her every mask. Both on stage and both off.

The voices coming from the conference hall was an indication that it was over. Elaf dug herself some more into her seat and looked straight at the computer screen in front of her. The sound of footsteps and chatter was growing louder. Mahnoor, Ali and Areej were already sitting alert at their stations. The entrance soon opened and Mr. Raza and the team came inside talking all the while.

The head was silent though. Elaf hadn't looked up but she knew he was just observing. His gaze was around but mostly around her.

Mr. Raza was talking about this team of his and all of them were putting on a humble face. Even though Ali and Mahnoor were offended by how Raza was making this about himself instead of them when they were behind the hard work. But that was Raza for you.

All this time, Elaf made herself look as busy as she could. And no one called her out on that. She was usually this way as well. Keeping to herself and not leaning away from her work. The team was almost at the end of the room and few of them had already gone out of the door when Elaf sighed and looked up.

Only to get startled because he was looking right at her. He paused. She blinked. His eyes narrowed and she gulped. And then he was gone.

And she knew she wasn't going up this façade for long.

____

Even though he hadn't been around for years, what Sarim never forgot was the hustle of Karachi and its traffic. He used to curse it. There was nothing to glorify about it but it was the most telling sign of his home city and whenever he visited back home, he would get the instant feel of Karachi the moment he would be on the road.

But right now, driving through the same roads, with city lights falling through the windshield, he didn't stop to admire the beauty of this city through all its blemishes. He was way too occupied for that.

Today was eventful. To say the least.

Who would've told him that a very normal day at the office would turn into this.