10

I only got a couple of hours of sleep today morning and usually, I would be mad at whatever was the reason that kept me up so late. But yesterday night was no ordinary one and the lack of sleep was a small price to pay for that. At least that's what I tell my tired self.

Today is Kevin's exhibition and Leo said he'd pick me up at 11 am. I put on my glasses and text Kevin right away making sure he knew I was coming. I smile when he responds almost immediately and expresses how excited he is for the day. I wish him all the best and offer to come early to help set up for the big day and he politely thanks me for offering but declined saying most of it was already handled. I wish him luck again and hop into the shower.

After my daily struggle with contacts and makeup, at which I'm way better now I must mention, I find myself standing in front of my closet naked trying to find an outfit that could be in sync with Leo's. I finalize on a lilac satin dress that hung just below the knees. I knew the event was slightly formal because Leo had mentioned there was going to be champagne while trying to use that as an incentive to get me to say yes. The dress hugs all my curves fluently and one might even say my bum looks appreciable today. I pair it with white sleek heels and a small white-silverish handbag and head down as I receive a text from Leo saying he had arrived. I chuckle at the uber type of text.

The summer breeze ruffles my hair that I tried so hard to style and I run to the car trying to shield them with my hands and totally failing at it. I stop when I can no longer see ahead as locks of hair cover my eyes and I try to sweep them back in place. When I finally gain my composure, I look ahead to find Leo dressed in black dress pants and a white shirt whose top three buttons he chose to leave open exposing his chest. The silver chains he wears around his neck highlighted his perfect features and some of the longer one's loop all the way into his shirt. I notice the many rings he wears today that suit his dainty long fingers so much as I follow his hands when they raise and scratch his neck, from there they drop to his collar bone as adjusts his necklace.

I gasp at his very planned movements and when I look into his eyes finally, I can see he's enjoying the attention. "You look your best. I would totally say yes if you asked me out today," I declare and wink at him as I get into the car. Where's the lie?

He stands there bewildered, probably wondering from where I got my confidence and sass today. I laugh at him, "Two can play this game."

The drive is quite long and he not even once mentions how I look which disappoints me a little bit more than that makes me worried if my clothes were appropriate for the occasion or not. I was still not used to such parties and I needed some guidance and approval if not a compliment.

When we finally reach and I'm about to open the door, Leo grabs my hand and stops me. He quickly runs to my side and opens the door for me. I'm as flattered as surprised but I take his hand and step out. Gentlemanly much.

I begin to adjust my dress and hair when he comes closer and whispers in my ear, "You are the most beautiful girl here today." For a second, I'm too moved by the sentence but then I counter, "Well, that's easy to say given you haven't seen any other girl here yet."

I check out my reflection in the car's window when he pulls me to face him, "Hey, I didn't say you look the most beautiful here today. I said 'you are the most beautiful girl here today' And I mean it."

He says that so casually as if it's the most obvious thing in the world to him and my stomach does a somersault. A low thank you is what I mutter as he reaches into the car and hands me a wine bottle, "for the opening, here hold it for me please." He grabs his black suit jacket from inside and that completes his look so well. If looks could kill, I'd be in heaven by now.

We walk into the gallery that is bustling with the crowd and look for Kevin. I present him the bottle as he kisses me on both my cheeks, a gesture which after all this time still makes me blush. And it doesn't help that Leo notices it and elbows me slyly.

Three of us go around looking at the exhibits and we congratulate Kevin for his hard work and success. He then leaves us to go through the rest of the exhibition and goes on to entertain the other guests. Going around with Leo felt more real than any of our other episodes. Maybe it was the presence of people here who could see us together. All the other times when we went out in public alone Leo always had to hide from the public eye. This made our outings even more adventurous but I still wished we didn't have to hide.

Was he hiding himself from the world? Was he hiding me, protecting me? Or was he just trying to avoid being seen with me in public? All these self-doubts were baseless, I knew that. But they still affected me and burned a hole in my heart and hindered my self-confidence. But not today. Today he walked with me, discussed the works with me, held my hand to guide me at times, and more than that he would ask for my opinion and my views. To know that my suggestions and opinions meant something to him made me feel strong. I liked that he respected me.

We select a few paintings and photographs for Leo's apartment and a few for his friends and family that he wanted to gift. There's one painting in particular that I follow from across the hall not realizing I left Leo behind. It has a set of skyscrapers at night. The purple and blue hues of the night highlight the starry sky and the various multicolored windows of the skyscraper are what drew me towards it.

I suddenly feel someone's presence beside me and find Leo looking at the painting, "Should we get it for you?" "What? No way. I can pay my rent for months with that money instead." I laugh at his absurd thought. "You know, I've always loved looking at windows of apartments at night time. And I don't mean it in a creepy stalker way. But every window is lit in a different color, different curtains, some of them don't bother to draw the blinds and some windows are pitch black, no light. So many stories unwind behind these windows. So much potential."

He watches me for a long time, smiles, and then leaves to get some champagne.

As I walk around waiting for Leo to return two arms with rolled-up sleeves enclose me in a hug from behind. I recognize those hands to not be Leo's and so I'm relieved when the hug doesn't last long and I turn to see who it is.

Trey.