Chapter 168

Gwen frowns at the window, watching the raindrops faint outline in the dark.

The dining room is bustling behind her, Mia and Monty chatting happily with Regulus and James. The Potters were going out tonight. Gwen admired their insistence that they still go on dates despite how long they'd been married.

Mia had still made them dinner, much to Gwen's protests. She'd tried, but the witch wouldn't have it. So the table was already set, the food steaming and delicious Gwen was sure. But she was distracted. She'd been waiting for a letter all evening, her eyes peeled for her favorite pelican. Jaques was never late with her letters, so she couldn't help but worry that the bird had gotten hurt.

Mia and Monty walk into the kitchen, stirring the Veela from her worrying. She smiles at Mia's flushed cheeks and Fleamont's shining smile. They were adorable. Young, despite their grey hairs and lined faces. She hoped she'd be like that.

"Are you all set?" Mia asks warmly, her flush deepening when Gwen says, "Yes, Mia. You look gorgeous."

"Oh stop," The witch laughs, waving away the girl's words. Fleamont looks down at her knowingly before turning to Gwen and saying playfully, "I'll have her home by 9:00."

Gwen just laughs and nods, pecking Mia on the cheek before the two wave goodbye to the Veela and move for the door. She pauses when she hears Monty say faintly, "Sirius, thank you for your assistance earlier. Mia is terrified of large birds."

Gwen's fingers curls into her palms, a rather unpleasant pang of uncertainty settling in her stomach. Large birds. That sounded far too familiar.

Her heart short circuits when she hears a hurried and hushed reply to Fleamont. She hadn't seen Sirius all day, suspecting that he needed rest after the full moon. She suspects something rather different now.

Sirius looks up from his spot at the table when the Veela enters the room, painfully glancing at her before his eyes flicker back to his plate. He couldn't look at her. He could barely even look at James.

Remus smiles weakly when she sets a hand on his shoulder, her voice light as she asks, "Feeling better?"

"Yes," He responds quietly, reaching up to give her wrist an appreciative squeeze. His brows furrow when her smile doesn't quite reach her eyes, but the Veela takes her seat before Remus can say anything more.

The werewolf scratches at his healing wounds, a prickle of anxiety causing him to meet Regulus' eyes. He looks just as confused as Remus feels, the two of them glancing at where James has gone pale in his seat before making eye contact again. Regulus hesitates before offering his boyfriend a slight shrug.

Sirius tenses when he feels the Veela's unnerving eyes land on him, but he refuses to look up, instead moving around the veggies on his plate.

"How was your day, James?"

Sirius' head whips up at the sound of her voice, though her attention is now focused on the boy with glasses. James looks like he may be sick, his lips curling inward for a brief moment before he says quietly, "Fine. And yours, Ninnie?"

Gwen smiles, her lips quirking up for a brief moment before her face turns passive again. She takes a small bite of her dinner, chewing thoroughly. Regulus quirks a brow at where Sirius is glaring at his plate, nearly asking his brother what was bothering him. The Veela speaks then, saying simply, "Unfortunately uneventful."

Remus clears his throat, a chill running up his spine when her eyes swivel to meet his. He hesitates for a brief moment before asking, "Uneventful?"

"Yes," Gwen hums, her face still unfazed. "I took a nap."

Regulus nods slowly, speaking up and saying with mirth, "You seemed quite content, Ninnie."