Chapter 64

Gwen's description did not do the little muggle town justice.

Sirius soaked in the vibrant colors, the swaying palm fronds, the white boats sailing in and out of the lagoon. Gwen laughs at his awe filled face, saying playfully,

"Come on, Black."

His eyes tear away from the sights and focus on her, watching as she climbs off her bike and leans it up against the wall of a pink building. Sirius' brows furrowed and he asks, "Won't someone take it?"

She just smiles like she knows something he doesn't, holding out her hand to him. His heart flutters and he quickly takes it, like he's scared she's going to pull away before he can. She guides him up the cobblestone streets, talking as she goes,

"It's pretty small, but it's home. Everyone is lovely, though I do think they prefer my old looks. It's the eyes, isn't it?"

She sounds nonplussed, not at all offended. It's just a matter of fact. Sirius smiles, pulling her in closer by her hand so her can sling his arm around her shoulders. His chuckle vibrates in her ear as he murmurs, "I like them. Your eyes."

Gwen smirks, replying cheekily, "Disgustingly beautiful, aren't they?" Sirius flushes at the painful reminder of the night he called her eyes beautiful in french. He still beat himself up over it. He'd known she was French, and he made a fool of himself anyway. He pinches the bare skin of her shoulder, relishing her knowing smile and twinkling eyes, unnerving in color but still full of life.

"I've always wondered what Gwenyth Whitlock was like on a date," Sirius teases, smiling slightly when she quirks a brow but keeps her gaze forward. Her lips twitch and she retorts, "The same as always. Hopefully you won't be bored."

His smile grows soft at the tone of her words. She nearly covers it up, but he can still hear it. Nervous. She's nervous. Sirius quickly looks over his shoulder, seeing no one coming in either direction. Gwen let's out a shriek of surprise when she's suddenly pulled in between two buildings, her back pressed up against the cold stone. Sirius grins down at her, cupping her face and kissing her lips quickly. He does it again. And again. And again, each time their lips meeting for an increasingly longer, more sensual kiss.

And each time her worries fade a little bit more. She was embarrassingly scared to go on a date with him, finding herself dull compared to his vibrant personality. She wanted it to go well, because she was scared of how much she really really liked him.

Gwen holds back a moan, but a breathy sigh escapes her and Sirius glides his teeth across her lip in response. He finally pulls back, his smile immediately returning to his face.

"Being bored is the absolute least of my worries. I'm far more concerned about keeping myself from shagging you in public. "

He relishes the way her cheeks turn pink, unable to help himself from kissing her soft skin. She smiles exasperatedly, her voice dripping with sarcasm, "I hope you'll be able to contain yourself."

Sirius chuckles, pulling her back into the street and playfully swatting her backside while he mutters, "I'll contain myself when you wear a turtleneck."

Gwen laughs at his words, flushing even more. He did like her dress. She grabs his hand again, tugging him up the winding cobblestones. She shows him her favorite shops, explaining the history of the area. She tells him that there are mountains here, not far from the sea, that stretch high in the sky. And that herds of sheep live at the base of them, sheep that she sometimes visits to pet. She asks him if he wants to stop walking, to sit somewhere and eat. But he doesn't, too enraptured by the way her eyes nearly glow as she talks about the place she calls home.

They spend the afternoon wandering, climbing up the winding streets until the reach a small plaza with a fountain that looks like it's been there forever, still withstanding the test of time.

"I'll be right back," Gwen says, grinning when he quirks a brow. She laughs as she backs away, teasing, "It's a surprise. Don't do anything dumb while I'm gone."

He rolls his eyes and gestures for her to go, turning back and smiling at the fountain. He tries to push down the emotions rising, because one is rather alarming. This runs deep. He brushes it aside, instead studying the water that sprays from the fountain. He's distracted by a few muggle children running by, laughing and yelling in a different language. His heart clenches and he wonders if Gwen got to do that. If she and her mum got to come here and spend the day looking at the buildings and the sky and the ocean in he distance, close enough that you can still hear the waves.

"Qu'en pensez-vous?"
[What do you think?]

Sirius turns his head, chuckling at the sight. The Veela holds two doughy pastries in napkins, both of them looking rather large in her hands. He takes the one she offers, replying,

"Je pense que c'est magnifique."
[I think it's beautiful.]

Her smile is soft and she looks pleased by his response. He holds onto that look, not sure when she'll feel free enough to show her emotions this easily again. He follows her lead after she takes a bite of the treat she's holding, his eyebrows raising once he's had some. It's delicious, the dough sweet and fluffy, filled with something that tastes like lemons. He turns to Gwen, amused to see some powdered sugar on her cheek. He cups her jaw, finger swiping away the white dust as she tilts her head up to smile at him. He doesn't know why he says it, what about her compels him to tell the truth in all situations,

"I've never been on a real date before."

Her eyebrows raise at his blurted words, surprise flooding her. He instantly looks embarrassed and he goes to move his hand away. But she quickly reaches up and grabs his wrist, keeping him close. She liked him close. Gwen smiles and asks, "What about valent—"

Sirius scoffs, a rueful smile on his face as he confesses, "My Valentine's Day consisted of me ditching that poor girl at the tea shop. I'd maybe been there five minutes before I saw you and Prewett. So I paid for her tea, apologized profusely, and ran."

His shame fades as she laughs quietly, her thumb stroking the skin of his inner wrist. Sirius contemplates kissing her, but there are other people around. Children. The way he wants to kiss her shouldn't be done in front of children. Gwen teases gently, "I'm Sirius Black's first real date?"

He snorts, rolling his eyes but nodding. Gwen laughs again, her hand smoothing up his arm to rest gently on his elbow. His skin tingles everywhere she touches, sparking to life.

"Well," Gwen says cheekily. "You aren't my first date..." Sirius smiles slightly as she trails off.

He can't fight back a grin when she continues, "But you're certainly my favorite."