Chapter 49

{{my heart. I love Remus.}}

"Are you sure you should be going today?"

Gwen groans loudly, her head falling onto Dorcas' shoulder as she slumps down at the Gryffindor table.

"Yes, Sirius," Gwen says with mock sincerity. "I'm sure I should be going." She sits upright when the boy with charcoal eyes and a crooked smile opens his mouth to argue,

"I'm not missing the last match of the season, you bloody fool!!!" Gwen cries. Sirius eyes narrow and he looks at Dorcas, asking pointedly, "You're going with?"

"Yes. And she has been resting. And she's been doing everything Dumbledore has asked," Dorcas replies like a proud parent, making Gwen throw her hands into the air.

"Quit trying to keep me from going," Gwen insists, flipping Sirius off. His frown deepens and he tries to say more, but Gwen speaks first,

"Siriu, I will charm You if I have to."

James let's out a cheer of excitement, saying happily, "Please, Ninnie! Do it!!!!"

Sirius quickly intervened, grumbling, "Absolutely not! She needs to save her energy."

"Dear Merlin," Gwen sighs. "You've practically turned into my dad."

Sirius' eyes light up and a smirk takes over his face. Gwen looks at him knowingly and mutters, "Don't you even dare, Sirius."

"What?" His voice is full of mock innocence, but she knew better. She fights a smile, saying firmly,

"Potter, get him out of here."

James grins and salutes the Veela, replying while he stands, "As you wish, Ninnie."

Sirius sighs when James yanks him to his feet. He swats his friends hands off of him, quick reaching across the table and winding some of the blonde's hair around his fingers. He leans in, asking lowly,

"No good luck kiss?"

He relishes the unimpressed look in her eyes. A year ago it would've pissed him off, but he knew beneath the nonchalance was mirth and laughter. He still loved the challenge. She's better, back to her regular cheeky self that keeps him constantly on his toes and makes him want to snog her senseless. Gwen blinks boredly and he expects something blasé, but then she's leaning in too, her cheek brushing against his as she whispers in his ear,

"I've got something better than a kiss if you win, Padfoot."

He feels his heart leap to his throat, his eyes widen, and blood rushes south. He never would've guessed that Ninnie Whitlock would ever be as hungry for him as he was for her. But he didn't want to hurt her, insistent on her recovering her energy. The sound of his nickname leaving her lips however...that was a temptation itself. He groans quietly, untangling his hand from her silken locks, pushing her shoulder slightly as he mutters,

"You're a tease."

She shrugs and says simply, "Who said anything about teasing? I'm a woman of my word."

Sirius suddenly feels very torn. Torn between going to the sodding quidditch pitch or snatching her up and carting her off to his dorm. James' snickering tears him away from her pale eyes, another sigh leaving him as he climbs over the bench and begins walking. Gwen grins when he glances back and flips her off, turning to Remus who'd been reading quietly.

He glances up when he feels prickling along his skin, jumping when he immediately finds her eyes,

"What?" He wonders uncomfortably. While he was glad she was back to her normal self, that meant she was back to her spooky ways.

"I was hoping you and I may talk," Gwen says simply. Dorcas glances back and worth between them, saying uncomfortably, "Uh...I was just going to meet up with Marlene and Lily."

"I'll catch up with you," Gwen offers and this time it's Dorcas' turn to freeze when her friend says quietly, "Though I'm sure Marlene will keep you good company in my absence."

Dorcas flushes and quickly hurried away, cursing the Veela and her bloody intuition. Remus, not really noting the exchange due to his own nerves, straightens up when she turns back to him and says flatly,

"Lily is growing awfully suspicious of you."

Remus nervously scratches the back of his neck, saying awkwardly, "I'm aware, she—"

"No, love. You're not understanding me. She's growing suspicious of you. She already was suspicious about the one thing."

Remus stares at her confusedly for a few long moments, and then it hits him. She knows. He feels pressure behind his eyes, signaling tears as he whispers, "How did you—"

"Remus, you're one of few boys that is immune to my charm. And while I reckon that you're status as a fellow being contributes to that, I happened to catch you leaving a broom closet after Benjy Fenwick a few months back."

His eyes widen and he begins to try to explain. She's patient, listening to his rambling with a gentle smile,

"It was just a one time thing, I'm not...."

He trails off, panicking further at her silence. He jumps when she suddenly reaches out and grabs onto his shaking hand. Her smile is so kind it hurts.

"Remus, I think you are a lovely person that is capable and deserving of love from any and all people. Nothing you could do could ever change my opinion on that. And if you'd rather we not talk about it, I'll understand. I'm happy to forget everything."

He hesitates under her steady gaze, feeling his nerves fade slightly as he murmurs, "You don't hate me? You don't think I'm...disgusting?"

"Of course not!" Gwen cries, squeezing his hand. She hesitates before saying lowly,

"I've been permitted to tell you this..I only told her that I had a friend that was going through something's so don't worry, but—" she pauses smiling slightly as she whispers, "Dorcas happens to like both lads and birds."

Remus' eyes widen and he smiles a little, relief flooding him. He was terrified, terrified that there was one more thing about him that made him different. Too different to fit in anywhere. And here Gwen was, quelling those fears.

Gwen laughs quietly as she says, "You're not alone, Remus. And you're not alone in being scared either—she cried when she told me. And then she was so overwhelmed when I told her that I still loved her that she retched all over my bed!"

Remus chokes out a laugh, a strong surge of affection for the girl flooding his body. He fights back tears as he whispers,

"I'm awfully glad that we're friends, Gwenyth."

"You and me both, Remus," She teases, standing to reach over the table and hug him tight.

When they separate and begin to walk out of the great hall, Gwen links their arms and looks up at him calmly as he wonders nervously,

"Should I...should I tell Lily?"

Gwen smiles and shrugs, suggesting, "Do what you feel comfortable with. You don't owe anyone anything, certainly not information about yourself that you may not be ready to discuss. So, decide for yourself. And until then, I'll be around to listen."

Remus grins slightly and nods, pulling her closer as they walk down to the quidditch pitch. He wonders as they grow near why on earth they'd ever called her a narc.