Chapter 116

"Severus,"

The greeting hangs in the quiet winter air, simple and not unfriendly. Gwen knows he won't speak first, that there's a reason he's not in Gryffindor, so she sighs and says quietly,

"Come to see Lily?"

His silence answers her loud and clear. She finally looks at him when he clears his throat. She quirks a brow, blinking rapidly at the uncomfortable look on his face. He finally speaks, still nasally and arrogant sounding, despite his oddly approachable aura,

"You and Black broke up."

It's a statement, a hard one to hear. She can see his surprise when she smiles slightly and quips, "Word travels fast. Is that why you're standing here talking to me? Looking for a bit of good luck?"

Severus flushes and quickly shakes his head. He had absolutely no urge to kiss the Veela, no matter the benefits old legends promised. His heart beat for one girl, a girl that could no longer stand him. What he did want, was clarification. He pauses before asking,

"You don't know your family?"

Gwen let's out a hum of acknowledgement, quiet and warm amongst the snowflakes dappling the sky. She says calmly, "I have relatives. Though I don't think we're truly related. My mom didn't have anyone to leave me too. I reckon a real relative would look if their kin ran away."

Severus nods, mulling over her words. He couldn't help the curiosity. He had a fascination with all thing magic, particularly the Dark Arts. And Veela sat in a weird middle ground, their origin dark despite their pure appearance.

Gwen smiles and turns back to look across the grounds, musing, "My mother used to tell me that the sea created her. Surely an old wives tale. But she never mentioned her parents. Certainly never mentioned how I came into existence."

She glances at his blank face, her lips twitching as she asks, "Shouldn't you be with your friends. What are you lot called? Soul Munchers?"

Severus scoffs irritably. His curiosity certainly had bit made him fond of the girl. Because she was just that, a creature to be studied. He sneers, "They're not my friends. And you know the name."

Gwen laughs, startling him with the mirth written across her face. He grows hot beneath his robes, angrier. He lashes out, "Don't laugh at me, mutt!"

Gwen reaches out to touch him, but he flinches backwards. She quickly composed herself, reassuring, "I'm not laughing at you! I'm just...I'm laughing at the absurdity of the last few days."

He doesn't return to his relaxed state, but his anger is pushed down. Tolerable now. He huffs and clasps his hands together in front of him, averting his gaze to the snow across the Hogwarts grounds.

He doesn't look at her when she speaks again, a hint of melancholy in her voice, "The last few days have been unfortunate. Though, I do think Lily missed you."

He whips his head sideways, eyes widening. If he didn't know the Veela to be honest, he'd sneer again. But she was nothing if not sincere. Gwen smiles faintly, reaffirming, "You were her first friend."

"Friend," He repeats flatly. He freezes when her eyes meet his. They're rather scary, so pale and flat that it seems like she is looking through him. He shifts uncomfortably when she says, "It's hard to not be with the person you love."

Severus stares at her for a moment before giving an almost imperceptible nod. He still looks at her down his nose, still thinks she's a lowly being. But he doesn't feel like she will plaster his secrets across parchment and hang them up in every corridor of the castle. Not her style.

Gwen sighs and reaches up, nonchalantly pulling a few hairs from her ponytail. Severus eyes widen when she lifts a vial from her robes and places the hairs inside before handing them over. He takes them carefully, flushing when the Veela says simply, "I assume this is why you're really here."

He feels compelled to come up with an excuse. She must be able to tell, because her voice is reassuring as she hums, "Don't worry. I'm curious too."

Severus quickly stashes them away, like he's scared she'd take it back. She doesn't say anything more, just nods once and walks away.

She expects to feel some sort of relief, she can carry a conversation with someone outside of the Marauders or her girls. But she doesn't. She feels only sadness.

Her heart is weary as she climbs to the Ravenclaw tower. It's pitifully empty, barren besides old books and portraits that sense the girls sadness. She shares a few polite words with them, tells the bronze eagle that gate keeps the common room door to have a good break.

And then she's off, trudging from the tower to a familiar gargoyle statue. She doesn't say a password anymore. It merely steps aside and reveals the stairs that she thinks she's traveled close to one hundred times now. And the whole whole, she wonders what Sirius is doing. If he's okay, if he has smiled yet. If the train has made it to the station so he can hug Euphemia Potter. She hopes it has. She hopes that he can forgive her.

Gwen sighs when she enters the Headmaster's office, greeting Fawkes quietly. She reaches out and gently strokes his tail feathers, a sad smile gracing her face at his kind eyes. Kinship. She felt a sense of kinship when she looked at the creature. Though she envies it for a brief moment. Envies that someday he will turn to smoke and ash and be reborn, past mistakes and failures washed away with time.

"Miss Whitlock."

She steels herself, pushes away the sadness inside her that threatens her resolve like a tidal wave. Taking a deep breath and then turning, she smiles slightly.

"Professor," She greets, feeling a twinge of pride when he looks grateful to see her. His eyes twinkle with an emotion she can't decipher. He's dressed in the same silver and blue robes he always is, though he has a coat slung over one arm.

Gwen's eyes slide to the small bag he has in his hand, her lips twitching when he says, "If you'd like to put your items in this bag, there is a rather nifty extension charm. Though, not if you're going to accuse me of being a pervert again."

Gwen can't help but laugh, a warm one that starts at her toes and makes her clutch at her belly. She wipes away a tear from laughter this time, relief flooding her at the kindness and understanding on his face.

He must have known that she was currently embroiled in heart break, but he was teasing her, keeping her attention off of a certain boy with black hair and grey eyes. Dumbledore smiles when she hands him her bag, a chuckle leaving him when she asks,

"Can you finally tell me where we are going, Professor pervert?"

He quirks a brow at the crass nickname, but doesn't say anything more. Instead he merely extends his arm for her to take, his smile calm and reassuring as he asks,

"Have you ever been to Bulgaria?"