Chapter 159

Gwen had never been very good at things that she thought girls were supposed to be good at.

Hair, makeup....forgiving boyfriends. Though this time it was her poor attempts at Lily's hair that had garnered attention.

James snorts when he peers over the magazine Gwen had lent him, his grin growing at the sight of the Veela tangling his girlfriends copper locks. Gwen however looks rather proud of her attempts when she leans back, patting Lily on the shoulder and saying warmly, "Finished, Lils."

The Gryffindor girl looks up from where she's sitting on the floor of their train compartment, her hands flying up to pat down the Veela's attempts at plaits. Lily nearly sighs when she realizes how hard it will be to comb out her hair. But Gwen looks so content that her smile comes easily and she says, "Thanks, Gwenyth. It's brilliant."

"No," Gwen replies, her face bored though her lips are still turned up in a smile. "It's rubbish. You're so fun to mess with, Lily. It's really too easy."

Lily scoffs and climbs to her feet, flushed and quickly swiping at Gwen's side. The Veela laughs, dodging her friend's swinging hands. She quickly stands and darts away from Lily, asking calmly, "James, aren't you going to help me?"

"No thanks, Ninnie," He chuckles, "I've been on the other end of Lily's wrath. As hot as it is, she scares me half to death."

Lily balks at James and Gwen used the distraction to slip out of the compartment, sliding the door shut behind her. Lily glares at her playfully through the glass and Gwen waves, saying cheekily, "I'm just going to hunt down Dorcas and Marlene."

She pauses before adding, "Lily, you may want to do something about that hair. It's atrocious."

Gwen hurriedly walks away from the compartment before Lily can get the glass door open and grab her. The Veela smiles when she sees Peter and Remus, saying warmly, "James and Lily snagged a big compartment just up there."

Remus nods, ruffling her hair while Peter smiles at her, the mousy boy replying, "If you're looking for Dorcas I think she got stuck talking to Gilderoy Lockheart. Marlene isn't pleased."

Gwen rolls her eyes and nods, offering a quick thank you before slipping past the two Marauders and continuing on. She hums quietly to herself when no one is in the corridor, though it's not just the Veela alone for long.

Gwen sighs when a hand suddenly grips her upper arm, her cheeks warming when a familiar scent invades her senses. He smelled like leather and cigarettes and the faintest hint of some cologne that was masculine and delicious.

She reminds herself that she's mad at him, her tone clipped as she asks boredly, "Sirius, how can I help you?"

He cements his front to her back and the air leaves her lungs, growing dizzy from the abrupt contact. She swallows and tries to pull her arm away but then he's walking them forwards, his body still warming hers as they go. She doesn't fight him, at least not yet.

His free hand comes down to rest on her hip, holding her close as they walk down the train cars. She figures that he won't respond to her question, if he did it would be something equally as snarky. But a pleased noise sounds from the back of his throat when he spies someone leaving the bathroom.

Gwen let's out an indignant yelp when he hurries up their pace, shoving them both into the bathroom and shutting the door behind them. Gwen whirls around to face him when she hears the lock, frowning at the broody look on his chiseled face. He's dressed like his attitude, dark instead of the bright happy things he should be feeling. His jacket was on despite the heat and a familiar ring joined the gold one he and her shared. Her heart softens when she recognizes it.