Chapter 29

Lily, Marlene, and Dorcas all groan in unison, Dorcas whining playfully,

"You're always with them. Stay here with us!"

"I promised them I would say goodbye," Gwen laughs, flicking her friends each on the forehead.

"Come back when you're done?" Marlene propositions, letting out a cheer when Gwen nods.

"Well, go on!" Lily says encouragingly. "Hurry!"

Gwen's laughter dies in her throat when she slips into the hallway. Shes not exactly unfazed by what she sees. A familiar boy with dark hair has a girl pinned up against the train windows.

Sirius is kissing her aggressively, trying to clear away any thoughts of a certain Veela. But his body has a memory too, and it can tell that this person he's snogging is not someone with blonde hair and pale eyes. He's stirred from his thoughts and pretending to like the girl who's tongue is practically down his throat when a familiar voice says,

"Excuse me."

He tears away from the girl he has against the window like he's been burned, quickly looking over to see Gwen standing there. She doesn't look mad, doesn't look jealous. She looks bored, unimpressed.

"Can we help you?" The girl he was just snogging asks.

Gwen blinks at her and smiles faintly saying,

"Yes, you can. If you could move for a moment, I'd like to get past you."

"Why?"

He's surprised by his own question, but it gets her attention. Her unnerving gaze lands on his and she replies simply,

"I told the lads I would come say goodbye. We're almost at the station."

He feels a twinge of something uncomfortable in his chest when he steps aside and lets her scoot through. She seems completely unaffected, and he doesn't know if he was setting out to make her jealous, but now that he knows she isn't it he grows frustrated.

"What about me?" He barks out, watching her as her hand stills on the compartment door. She glances at him and smiles and it just makes him more angry.

"You're busy," She answers like it's the most obvious thing in the world. Then she glances at the girl that's practically steaming she's so angry. Gwen grins and says cheerfully,

"Have a good holiday, Jen."

The girl, Jen, can't help but soften and reply quietly, "Yeah, you too."

James looks up and cheers when the compartment door slides open. Sirius can hear muffled talking and laughter from outside. He just grows angrier, brushing off Jen and walking away in the opposite direction.

"Ninnie," Remus teases her with the nickname, beckoning her over. She sits by him happily, replying, "Yes, Moony?"

He chuckles, wondering, "Were you given permission to call me that?"

"I didn't realize I needed it," She laughs, elbowing him gently in the side. James is on the edge of his seat, looking very much like he wants to ask her something. She quirks a brow and says,

"James, you're present is being mailed to you. I already told you this."

He grins broadly at her words and nods, clasping his hands together in satisfaction at her answer. She'd been momentarily nervous, scared that Sirius had shared that they'd kissed the night before. She feels a weird pang in her side at the thought, quickly pushing it aside.

Peter smiles nervously at the Veela, glancing sideways at the looks of encouragement from James and Remus before he asks quietly,

"Gwen, I-I know you said you were fine alone. But would you at least consider spending the holidays with one of us? We'd all be happy to have you."

Her heart swells with an insurmountable volume of affection. Months ago, she would've been pissed and embarrassed that they were asking. Today however, it meant the world.

"Really, lads," She says gently, "I'm going to be fine. If I get lonely or sad then I know exactly who I'm coming to."

The train is beginning to slow and Gwen says quickly,

"That's my cue! The girls will kill me if I don't say goodbye again. Stand please!"

The boys all jump to their feet. Remus hugs the Veela quickly, biting back a smile. Peter blushes furiously when it's his turn, getting winks and thumbs ups from Remus and James. When it's James' turn he locks his arms tight around her.

They all say quick goodbye's before she disappears. Sirius and the lads clamber off the trains, hugging each other and wishing each other a happy holiday. James hesitates, because he can see Wallburga and Regulus Black already together, waiting for Sirius to join them with arrogant looks on their faces.

"Padfoot, I—"

Sirius interrupts his best friend with a weak smile, saying firmly, "I'll be fine, James. Tell your parents I miss them."

James nods quickly and watches with sad eyes as Sirius turns and begins walking away.

He reluctantly moves away from his friends, dread making his footsteps heavier and heavier until he just stops for a moment and stares in the direction of his mother and brother.

"Vous êstes la!"
[There you are!]

Sirius quickly spins around, not having a moment to think before familiar arms are wrapped around him. His spine slumps as he relaxes, bending slightly to wrap his arms around her waist.

"Ninnie," He mumbles into the veela's hair, his eyes clenching tight. She squeezes him tighter if at all possible, the stone around his heart cracking slightly. His throat feels raw from swallowing down emotions. He's scared, he can admit that. He's always scared to go home.

"Tu ne pensais pas que je dirais au revoir?"
[you didn't think I'd say goodbye?]

He smiles and gently pokes her side, chuckling when she laughs. He admits lowly,

"Je pensais que tu étais en colère contre moi."
[I thought you were mad at me.]

She pulls back enough to look up and see his face. She smiles faintly and asks playfully, "What could I ever be mad at you for?"

The warmth around his heart only fades slightly when she untangles herself from him completely, saying quietly, "Be safe, Sirius. And try to have a good holiday."

He wants to reach out and grab her hand. He wants to kiss her again, feel the way he did last night. But she's already walking away, disappearing into the crowd before he can do anything of the sort.

He sighs and grabs the things he'd dropped, grabbing onto his trunk and dragging it in the direction of his sneering mother. He was not at all looking forward to Christmas.