but i can see the stars from america

Start from the beginning

Ruby.

Iris looked at Sam for a second before she picked up the phone. "Hey, Ruby," Iris said, in an almost questionable tone and Sam looked at her. "You want me to come get you?" Sam continued to stare at Iris odd. "Uh — alright. Yeah, I'll come get you. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just...I just feel uncomfortable."

"Okay, no problem, I'm on my way," Iris said before she hung up and looked at Sam. "You guys check this out. I'm gonna get Ruby." They all nodded before getting their stuff and leaving.

Alex's Apartment

Alex was sitting on her bed, packing some things, when suddenly Maggie walked up in front of her, clearly frustrated. "What are we doing?" Maggie asked and Alex looked up at her. "Are you sure you wanna give up on this? You sure you wanna do this? Give up something tangible and real...us, it's us...for some notion you have of being a mom?"

Alex sighed as she fiddled with the sheets below her. "It's not some notion," Alex said and Maggie stared at her confused. "Ever since I was little...when I would see a mom and her kids...this thing would happen to me. You know, it's...It's...recognition that I was gonna be a mom. And it wasn't some, you know, I...Oh, I...I want it. I want that, or, I hope someday that I have that. No, it's just...something that I've always known. Even when everything else, whether it was boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever, when...when that was blurry...the part of me being a mom, that's always been crystal clear. If I deny that...I'm gonna feel it forever."

"I wish I could change the way I feel," Maggie said.

"Yeah. Me, too," Alex said.

Francis Park

Meanwhile, Sam and Kara walked around the park, trying to figure out where all the children could have gotten sick. "So many vendors and rides here, it could have been anything. For all we know, it's gone," Kara said.

"Unless it wasn't something outside," Sam said, eyeing a building up in the distance.

When they walked up to the building, what seemed to be an inside pool, Sam tried to open the doors but couldn't. "It's locked," Sam said before she backed away, and looked away.

"Huh," Kara said before forced open the lock and opened the door. "It was a sticky hinge."

———

As the two walked on the sides of the pool, Kara smiled back on a memory. "Eliza used to bring me to a place like this," Kara said.

"Who's Eliza?" Sam asked.

"Oh. My adoptive mom. Every Tuesday and Thursday," Kara said.

"You're adopted?" Sam asked and Kara looked at her. "So am I."

They both chuckled at the coincidence. "Really?" Kara asked.

"Except for my place was Mondays and Wednesdays," Sam said before they stopped to stare at the pool. "Gosh, we really loved swimming. Every kid loves swimming."

Kara subtly tilted her glasses down, and x-rayed the pool — the entire thing was filled with lead. She put her glasses back on and pulled her phone and a small device out. "I'm gonna test the pool," Kara said and Sam looked at her odd as she kneeled down.

"You're gonna test it?" She asked.

"I have a friend at the FBI who helps me on stories. Tests stuff, lab work," Kara said as she gathered some water into her device.