Chapter 36

the next morning (June 24th)

Theo. 9:04 a.m.

I awoke drowsily but was quick to leave the bed when I didn't feel Evelyn next to me. I changed shirts and walked down the West staircase. Evelyn was sitting at the kitchen table talking with what I thought was all of my sisters. "Was I really the last one to wake?" I asked as I pulled out a chair. Our table was massive, but fitting for a family of 9. "Amelie is still sleeping," announced Roxy. "Was it just me or was she acting strangely yesterday?" Clara asked. Everyone agreed. "It was most peculiar," Grace commented with a stifled giggle. We all laughed at her adorable quote. A cook brought us a delicious breakfast of pancakes and eggs and we all ate, enjoying the company of each other. After we ate, Evelyn and I went back upstairs to get ready for the day. I was ready within 20 minutes, but I waited on our couch and watched her while she finished. She was perfect. I heard her humming to herself as she curled her hair. "What are you singing?" I asked. "Nothing," she giggled as she walked over to her suitcase. She held up two dresses: one was a knee-length blue floral dress, and the other was a long black and white polka dot dress. "Which one do you like more?" she questioned. I had to think because they were both gorgeous. "I think I like the blue one more," I said. She set down the dotted dress, slipped into the blue one, and went back into the bathroom. When she came back, Evelyn had a sun hat with a blue ribbon around it to match the dress. She wore white, short boots with heels. I was blown away by how amazing she looked, but it was visible. "Is something wrong? Should I change?" she stuttered. "No, Ev. I was just thinking how lucky I am to have someone this stunning to love," I told her with a smile. She pouted her lip and gave me a big hug. "So what's the plan for today, weirdo?" she said. "Ouch, and how do you feel about going to my favorite spots in England?" I responded. "I am absolutely down," she said as she grabbed my hand. We walked out of our suite and were met with the problematic face of my teenage sister Amelie. Evelyn stopped dead in her tracks. "Good morning," I said with an unsteady voice. Evelyn squeezed my hand and I took it as a "we should leave" signal. Amelie stared us both down before huffing and walking away. We walked at fast speeds down the stairs. "Take it in the kindest way when I say she scares the living hell out of me," admitted Evelyn.