My Neighbor, The Mafia Boss (Vol. 1)

ᴀʀᴛ ʙʏ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍᴇʀ_ᴀᴍᴇʙᴀ ᴏɴ ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ

Mafia leader Lan WangJi
& single dad Wei WuXian.

ᴅᴏᴍᴇsᴛɪᴄ ғʟᴜғғ | ʜᴜʀᴛ ᴄᴏᴍғᴏʀᴛ | ᴡᴡx ʜᴀs ᴀ ᴍᴜsᴄʟᴇ ᴋɪɴᴋ | ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴡᴊ ʜᴀs ᴛᴏɴs ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇᴍ

A father's hands worked as if they were made for folding laundry at one in the morning. The glare of a neon sign cast lavender shadows across the room. It was the bar across the street. The buzz kept him up at night—not the buzz of liquor, no—the literal fucking buzz of that obnoxious neon sign.

Wei WuXian slumped forward.

For the last four years, Wei WuXian was a single dad to Wei Yuan, but he hadn't figured it out. He never worked less than seventy hours a week, still, he and his son lived paycheck to paycheck. Some days, he sold himself beneath the same neon sign that kept him awake every night.

As long as Wei Yuan was happy, Wei WuXian would never give up. But it was hard. He was tired. He was so tired.

"Baba?" A small voice whispered.

"What's wrong, A-Yuan?" He set aside a pair of holed socks and looked up at their bed. They lived in a studio apartment with two rooms: the bathroom, and everything else. "Why are you up?"

Wei Yuan hummed an 'I don't know.' He hugged his radish plushie, thinking, and asked, "Can we make a cake foh the new neighboh?"

"Go to sleep. We can talk in the morning," Wei WuXian mumbled, barely. His tongue was cramped by three-jobs-worth of sweet talking and forced smiles as a boss's hands forget boundaries and wedding vows. The chill of a ring up his back. The bullish cackle. The accusations of prudishness.

Wei WuXian was tired.

But whenever he looked at Wei Yuan, he couldn't help but think everything would be okay. As long as Wei Yuan was happy.

"Okay. Okay." Sighing like an old motor, Wei WuXian set the laundry basket aside and sat down on the stiff mattress. "I have the afternoon off tomorrow. We can bake a cake then, alright?"

"Mn!"

He blew a raspberry on the boy's forehead, relishing in the fit of throaty giggles that filled the room, quieting the neon buzz. "Now go to sleep you rascal!"