The Jade is Sick

See watermark
for image credit
platform is Weibo

Requests open <3

Here's an obligatory sick fic.

Lan WangJi definitely becomes extra needy when sick because of his childhood neglect :( Ahh this is supposed to be fluff now I made it sad.

•••

Drunk Lan WangJi was a handful. This, everybody had found out one way or another over the years. It was no fault of their own that WangJi liked to impress his husband by means of consumption. Unfortunately, Wei WuXian being a now-permanent resident of the Cloud Recesses only increased such cases. Almost the entire Sect had their own unique story to tell when it came to their drunk Jade.

But, what only a select few were privy to was a sick Lan WangJi.

It had eluded most people, even his husband, for it was rare of a cultivator so powerful to succumb to illness, but at the end of the day, Lan WangJi was a human first and foremost.

Thus, when Wei WuXian woke up at noon (much to his husband's disappointment, he could never rehabilitate his poor sleeping habits) he was stunned to find Lan WangJi still deeply asleep beside him.

"Lan Zhan?"

He didn't respond.

Wei WuXian's fingers alighted on his cheek airy as a feather. He stroked in a descending caress, landing at the tip of his chin and tilting his head up.

"You're feverish."

"Hot," the Jade agreed.

"So you are awake?" He commented, bemused.

Lan WangJi nodded. Eyebrows met at a fine point as his face pinched. He sniffled pitifully. There was a sheen of sweat glowing on his skin.

"Wei Ying, take..."

"Take what?"

"Take away hurt."

"What hurts, A-Zhan?" He rarely called him in such a way, but Lan WangJi looked so small, so vulnerable. He twirled a strand of his husband's hair between his fingers, trying to force a consoling grin when all he felt inside was worry.

Lan WangJi slowly moved to touch Wei WuXian's stomach. He said, "Here."

Oh, Wei WuXian thought grimly. He knew firsthand how unforgiving bad food could be. Street scraps often did him more harm than good as a boy.

"Poor thing," Wei WuXian cooed. He rubbed WangJi's abdomen lovingly.

The sickly little Lan fell back asleep.

Wei WuXian held him closer than usual. He, too, fell asleep, and could only hope his Heart would feel better soon.

But such hope wilted when Lan WangJi roused them both with a pained whine. Night had snuck through the windows, draping the Jingshi in a duvet of darkness. He couldn't see his husband, but he didn't need to to understand what was coming.

Wei WuXian climbed over his body and stepped out of bed, whispering, "Lan Zhan, let me help you to the restroom."

In his smaller Mo body, Wei WuXian struggled to drag the much larger man down the hall. It took a fit of grunting to succeed, but they made it in time, and as he feared, Lan WangJi was on the ground before the stone receptacle in seconds, sacrificing yesterday's meals. Wei WuXian huffed mournfully. Behind Lan WangJi, he crouched and pulled his long, sweaty hair into a tangled updo to preserve its cleanliness. Once finished, he pressed his forehead to WangJi's nape, sighing gently.

"Don't wanna," the Lan whined between heaves.

"I know, bunny, I know." Wei WuXian whispered sweet nothings into his ear and drew pictures of clouds across his back with a tender finger. It hurt him to be unable to offer any comfort beyond that. Still, it appeared to reach Lan WangJi through his haze of sick.

"Thank... Wei Ying," the Jade whispered.

Wei WuXian's hands stopped at his waist. His arms snaked around Lan WangJi's torso and he pressed his cheek flat against his back.

"No 'thank you' between us," he reminded.

"Forgot. Sorry."

"None of that either."

"That one was on purpose," he admitted fondly before another onslaught of dry-heaving consumed him. He had nothing left to give, and still, his body demanded more.

It was so reminiscent of the rest of his life.

"Lan Zhan, can I make you soup?" Wei WuXian asked once Lan WangJi was tucked back in bed. Sat on the edge of the mattress, he scratched the Lan's chin like he would a little rabbit.

"Will you?"

"I'd be happy to." Then he brushed WangJi's red nose with a teasing finger before standing up and leaving for the kitchen.

Admittedly, the soup was bland and rushed, for hearing his husband hacking a room away instilled him with an improper urgency; but a sprinkle of herbs had been dissolved in its silky broth, and that was most important.

"For you, my husband."

Lan WangJi shakily took the bowl. He savored a few bites on his own, but his trembling hand kept dropping the spoon in the dish. Wei WuXian helped him finish and dabbed his mouth afterwards.

Lan WangJi shed a tear.

"Ha? Why are you crying?!"

"It's just... so good," he sniffled with a chuckle, obviously lying straight through his teeth. "Wei Ying is too good to me."

'Too good to me?'

The words didn't sit right. How could he say that? Wei WuXian felt awful for ever making Lan WangJi think he wasn't worthy of the best.

"Oh, come here." He pulled the man into his arms and peppered his forehead in so many sweet kisses he might give him a sugar rush. "It's because my Lan Zhan deserves the world."

Lan WangJi shook his head. "You."

"Me? Nu-uh, you first."

"No... Wei Ying!"

"Fine! Both of us, okay? Stop whining."

"Okay." He said contently.

A second later, he snored.