The Shadow of You (Vol. 6)

🪐Finale🪐

🪐Finale🪐

Also I'm so sorry for last chapter.
I'm genuinely ashamed of it.
I hope this one is better.

Request Open.

•••

The Nightless City was always lit by cauldrons of smoldering flames. Tucked deep in the alps of a dead volcano, snow blanketed the hilltops half the year, and so it was surprisingly cold in Qishan. Ergo, pots dripping with bronze lined every street, bringers of warmth and never-ending light.

Today, for the first time since its erection by Wen Mao, the Sun Palace saw the advent of dusk.

Wei WuXian tilted his head up. His eyes narrowed at the sun-haloed spires as he flexed his toes, flirting with the grand staircase, but his heels remained firm in the dirt. Perched like Imperial Lions, a pair of griffin effigies guarded Qishan Wen's palace, wards against evil spirits and mischievous imps. The temple had twelve ridged roofs, eaves lined by onyx busts of the four heavenly beasts. With such divine protection, it seemed no evil could ever rear its ugly head here.

The Stygian seal suddenly throbbed in Wei WuXian's abdomen. A warning. He whirled around just as a blade came swooping down, and just as that blade fell, a violet whip yanked the corpse back. Sandu finished it off as Wei WuXian stood dumbly. The sword had come way too close to his eye. His trimmed lashes fluttered to the ground like the legs of a butterfly snatched by a canary.

"Wei WuXian, don't just stand there!" Jiang Cheng chastised, flicking steaming blood from his cold blade. "Do you have a fucking death wish?"

He did not have a death wish.

But death was waiting for him at the top of the staircase he was hesitating to climb. Wei WuXian had no choice. It wasn't as if he hadn't traveled every avenue of thought, of possibility, but all those paths—whether fraught with danger or undisturbed—converged at one point: the Yin Iron.

Wei WuXian had to tame the Yin Iron.

Doing so with no golden core would end in brutal Qi Deviation.

"Jiang Cheng," he spoke softly, grabbing his baby brother by his belt before he could walk away. "Thank you for being my shidi."

"What are you—"

Another black-veined corpse roared as it launched himself at Jiang Cheng, and he was whisked back into the fray.

You never treated me as a brother so please do not mourn me as one.

Wei WuXian spared him one last look before he jumped up and mounted one of the griffin statues. Its name as a repulser of evil was fouled, for a demon was already treading upon, his black robes abused by a harsh wind. Loudly, they smacked against each other, however, the Demonic Cultivator defied the gale's orders. He stood firm and unbending.