Chapter 72: Vulnerability

Yuki walked beside Sesshomaru, staying close to his side as they made their way through the rocky terrain.

At first, she'd felt like she was hovering and decided to perhaps maintain some distance at least from time to time to give him space should he need it. Several instances of Sesshomaru grasping her wrist and pulling her back every time she got more than a few paces away from him, however, sent the message loud and clear. He needed her close as strongly as she felt compelled to stay by his side.

She had even taken to sleeping curled against him, his warm fur train draped around her. The shift in arrangement also meant Rin now slept beside Kohaku, and Yuki had seen their interlocked hands on more than one occasion. She suspected the little girl was offering comfort the same way Yuki was to Sesshomaru, for it hadn't escaped Yuki's notice either that Kohaku was often plagued by nightmares.

Yuki had never spoken to him about it, sensing his reluctance to discuss it, but it wasn't a far-fetched notion. She knew his father and comrades' deaths weighed heavily on the boy and Yuki was glad Rin could be there for him. The half-demoness was not blind to the fact that Rin, who was closer to the boy's age, human, and someone who depended on him for protection when faced with danger, was good for Kohaku's battered spirit.

Speaking of battered spirits...

Yuki glanced up at Sesshomaru again.

Like with the close contact, she tried not to overdo the small glances where she checked how Sesshomaru was fairing. The last thing she wanted was to make him feel smothered, especially as his pride rarely allowed him to accept help in any form.

But given that he wasn't the most eloquent of people to start with there weren't that many alternative options for Yuki to gauge his mood. And so they compromised with her stealing glances every once in a while.

What was surprising was how he dropped his usual, stoic defenses when he sensed her gaze on his face even if others were around. It wasn't a lot and Yuki didn't necessarily need him to do so; but it was a gesture of his attempts to show her he trusted and accepted her.

And while it was small, it was the most touching for her and did more to soothe her own wounded spirits after their fight almost a week ago. He'd spent centuries with that poker face, but he was changing that a little for her to show he cared. And that small gesture could make her smile, especially when his face softened pleasantly. Even if he revealed a slight frown, marking either his unhappiness or irritation, Yuki was just glad he was actively letting her in. It was a sure sign of progress.

Now, if only those damned demons would stop coming at him.

It was as Yuki was thinking that that she heard the sound of air whipping around a fast-moving object approach. Instantly, Sesshomaru's expression shifted to one of slight irritation and Yuki sighed.

Seconds later two whirlwinds crashed down into the road, blocking their path and forcing their small group to a momentary halt.

As the dust cleared, Yuki fought not to roll her eyes. Two troll demons appeared, towering over them with their enormous figures as they straightened up from their landing while keeping their yellow eyes fixed on Sesshomaru.

"Word has spread, Sesshomaru." The blue-skinned one laughed, his mouth twisted into a mocking smile.

"Rumour has it you've lost your weapon." His partner, a red-skinned troll, added jeeringly, and Yuki sighed again.

"Master Jaken," Rin murmured quietly from her spot atop A-Un, her curiosity finally getting the better of her after a pattern had established itself over the passed few days, "how come everyone wants to fight Lord Sesshomaru?"