Chapter 46: Someone to Protect

"Inuyasha!" Kagome cried, her turn now to go absolutely white as a sheet, while Yuki actually dropped to her knees, unable to cope worrying for the two dog brothers as Inuyasha went flying up into the air before crashing back down into the earth as the Dragon Twister blew passed.

So'unga laughed, mocking: "Now, do you realize how weak you are, half-demon? Sesshomaru," he turned to the dog demon as he taunted, "it's your turn next!"

Sesshomaru scowled as he got to his feet with a grimace, lifting Tenseiga angrily, when a noise made him glance back at Inuyasha.

"It ain't over yet." Inuyasha groaned as he pushed himself to his feet slowly, wincing in pain, but snarling: "Remember? I said it before. I've got human blood in my veins."

He opened his eyes and glared at So'unga as he shouted: "Which is why I can't stand to give up!"

Yuki watched wide-eyed, as Inuyasha stood tall and proud, even as So'unga laughed and lifted his sword once more.

"This time," he crowed as he gathered up all of his energy, "I shall deliver the final blow!"

Kagome gasped, and Yuki tightened her hands around the other girls as they recognized that this time, the Dragon Twister was going to be released at its full power. So'unga would ensure it.

"You'll fall into the pits of hell with those mortal girls!" So'unga shouted triumphantly as he gathered up his full demonic power.

"Just try me!" Inuyasha challenged as he set his Tetsusaiga before him determinedly. "I'll block your attack with my Backlash Wave!"

Yuki held her breath, her eyes shifting to Sesshomaru as she begged in her mind for him to help. 'Sesshomaru, please...'

"Dragon Twister!" So'unga shouted as he released his ultimate attack, and Inuyasha grit his teeth as he shouted back: "Now! Backlash Wave!"

He hurled his attack back at the Dragon Twister, and So'unga scoffed as he watched the clearly weaker attack: "Fool! As if your Tetsusaiga alone could possibly defeat me! The world of mortals will be swallowed up by the Netherworld!"

Yuki scowled, and she thought at the same time Inuyasha snapped: "Shut up for once!"

He grit his teeth as he felt himself getting pushed back, but he held his ground as he growled: "I have people I have to protect."

Kagome clutched the Tenseiga's sheath while Yuki's eyes widened as Inuyasha braced himself fully while shouting: "And that's why I can never give up!"

Sesshomaru frowned, before glancing down as Tenseiga rattled insistently in his hand.

"Tenseiga..." He muttered, before he was hit again by that memory of his father as they stood by the beach for the last time.

"Have you someone to protect?"

His father's words echoed in his mind as Sesshomaru thought slowly: 'Someone... to protect?'

"Lord Sesshomaru!" Rin cried for him as she fell from the cliff while collecting the Thousand Year Flower, and Jaken yelped: "Lord Sesshomaru!"

"Lord Sesshomaru!" Rin beamed whenever he returned from his solitary trips – now often joined by Yuki - and Jaken smiled with the girl as he called: "Lord Sesshomaru!"

"Sesshomaru!" Yuki laughed at him brightly, turning to him while the sun lit up her caramel-coloured locks and her dark blue eyes sparkled with light-hearted delight.

"Sesshomaru, please!"

Yuki's desperate cry echoed in his head, even as Sesshomaru looked to her now. She was staring at him, her brown human eyes wide as she pleaded silently, beyond words in her urgency and desperation, for him to act, to place his pride and obstinacy aside to save himself - to save them all.