Chapter 71: Meido Tetsusaiga

Inuyasha gasped as, following Tenseiga's breaking, Tetsusaiga pulsed before it glowed, enveloping him in the light as it transformed yet again.

As the light receded, he vaguely noted that he had returned to his normal, half-demon self, leaving him somewhat weak and lightheaded. But his attention was focused mostly on Tetsusaiga's blade, which had now turned completely black.

'Meido Zangetsuha.' Sesshomaru thought as he too stared at the black blade. 'The technique I almost lost Yuki to in my quest to master it... And now, it will be mine no longer. Why, father?'

His attention returned to his younger brother as Inuyasha winced, before looking back at his back where a few Adamant spears were still imbedded.

"Damn." Inuyasha hissed as both he and Sesshomaru noticed the miasma. "Naraku's..."

He grit his teeth, fighting the sudden pain, but it was too much. The Meido's aura paired with the miasma overcame him now that he was no longer a full demon and Inuyasha passed out before Sesshomaru.

The older dog demon scowled as he watched Inuyasha float backwards and towards the Underworld once more.

"Succumbing to Naraku's poison." Sesshomaru muttered irritably. "Your nature is weak, half-demon."

He knew from painful experience that only the power of Tetsusaiga, especially now that it was combined with Tenseiga's Meido technique, was keeping his brother from dying. Sesshomaru's frown deepened for a moment, before with a resigned air he flew over to his brother.

Grabbing onto Inuyasha's back, Sesshomaru unceremoniously pulled the Adamant shards out from the half-demon's back, expelling the source of the miasma before it could spread into Inuyasha's body... and then he punched Inuyasha across the face.

**********

Outside the Meido

'Very mature.' Yuki thought to herself as she watched.

The others were less calm.

"Hey!" Kagome cried as she grabbed Totosai by the lapels and shook the older demon frantically. "How will they escape from the path to the Underworld?"

"There's no way." Totosai answered grimly, waiting for Kagome to stop shaking him. "I'm afraid it's impossible now."

"What?!" Kagome cried, but Yuki just waited.

She'd heard that phrase – well, heard about it – before. And given what had just happened between the brothers... she wasn't quite as ready to give up yet. And after the depressing day she'd had... she was ready to hope one more time.

**********

Inside the Meido

Inuyasha stirred, and his eyes fluttered open before focusing on Sesshomaru before him.

"Sesshomaru." He half-muttered half-growled, feeling his cheek throb.

Wiping at the pain, he glared at his older brother, griping: "What? You still want to fight?"

"The gate has been closed." Sesshomaru informed Inuyasha without preamble; he was ready to leave and knew that his statement alone would be enough to make Inuyasha realize the gravity of their situation.

Sure enough, the younger dog demon's eyes widened, and Inuyasha yelped: "What?!"

Satisfied, though only grimly, Sesshomaru queried almost nonchalantly: "Will we stay here on the path to the Netherworld? Or will we find some way to return to the world of the living?"