Chapter 21: Realization

It was another regular day for the group as they walked through the forest, Rin riding on A-Un as Yuki led the dragon along behind Jaken and Sesshomaru. The dog demon seemed to have recovered from his bad mood, for which they were all grateful, but still determined to find – aka kill – Naraku.

But, as usual, Rin's stomach had other plans for them.

Growl.

Yuki glanced back with a small smile as Rin touched her stomach, and called: "Lord Sesshomaru! I'm starting to get really hungry. May I go and look for something to eat?"

Yuki stopped A-Un, even as Jaken scolded: "Quiet! A forest like this will have nothing for you to eat! You'll just have to wait."

Yuki rolled her eyes, while Rin protested: "Yes, but-"

"I don't want to hear any 'buts' out of you!" Jaken returned.

Yuki meanwhile winked at Rin and nodded to the trees to their left. Rin brightened and jumped off A-Un, rushing off as Jaken continued: "Be quiet, and- ah?!"

He gaped as Rin ran off, Yuki right behind her.

"We'll be right back!" Yuki called as they dashed off, leaving Jaken fuming.

"Silly girls!" Jaken yelled after them. "Come back here-!"

"Jaken."

Jaken stopped, looking back at Sesshomaru in surprise as the dog demon added sternly: "Let them be."

Jaken gaped, turning back to stare after the girls in disbelief.

'I don't believe it!' He thought bitterly. 'And he's waiting for them again, too!'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuki and Rin laughed as the little girl ran on ahead, looking for food, while the older half-demoness trailed behind casually. She couldn't smell any demons nearby, though she did remain on alert as she watched Rin forage for food. The last encounter with Kagura was still fresh in her mind, and it didn't escape Yuki how both Naraku and his incarnations could appear with barely any warning.

It was at that moment, when Rin brightened up and bent down to pick some mushrooms, that Yuki smelt it. A demon.

"Rin!" She called sharply, and the little girl turned just as a demonic arm came bursting out of the earth between the two.

Rin screamed as Yuki instantly drew her swords and leapt into the air, slashing the arm with both swords in a cross shape. She dropped down beside Rin as the clawed hand disconnected from the rest of the demon's arm, crouching protectively before the human girl.

Sesshomaru came bursting through the trees, Tokijin drawn, while Yuki's eyes narrowed in confusion as she stared at the dismembered forearm and the rest of the demon's arm.

'Where's the rest of it?' She wondered as Sesshomaru also paused, surveying the scene before him.

"What happened?" Jaken cried as he ran up behind Sesshomaru, when both Sesshomaru and Yuki stiffened.

Yuki bared her teeth while Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed as the dismembered 'demon's' arm suddenly shifted, losing its shape to reveal it had been made up of Naraku's poisonous insects.

"The Saimyosho!" Jaken gasped in horror as he stared at the swarm that had made itself known.

Rin also gasped, and Yuki pushed her further back defensively as Sesshomaru ordered: "Stand back, out of the way."