Chapter 29: Peace

Jakotsu finally pulled a few speedy summersaults to widen the gap, landing away from Sesshomaru and breathing hard as he stared at the dog demon angrily.

'That wretch!' He thought furiously. 'Acting like he's perfectly fine, when he's not. He's gradually trying to move away from the barrier though!' His thoughts became vindictively triumphant as he mused: 'Which means it is hard on him.'

Yuki, meanwhile, watched with worried eyes. She could easily see what the others would only be guessing at: the toll the barrier was taking on Sesshomaru.

His movements – while normally efficient and deadly – were even more carefully controlled, made to use as little energy as possible with none left to waste. His grip and his jaw were also just slightly tighter than normal, another indicator that the barrier was weakening him while he tried to move the battle further down the mountain, where the barrier was weaker.

"Hey, Suikotsu!" Jakotsu suddenly shouted. "Make sure you don't move away from the mountain!"

"I don't need to be reminded, Jakotsu!" Suikotsu returned dismissively as he remained where he was, holding his claws to Rin's face. "You just concentrate on your end, and get rid of the menace."

His eyes narrowed, and he added impatiently: "Make it fast, because I'm just itching to slaughter this little brat."

He brought his claws closer to Rin's face, causing the girl to flinch.

"Help... Lord Sesshomaru." Rin whispered, eyes wide and filled with terror as she looked towards the dog demon.

But he couldn't afford to look away from Jakotsu as the man threatened: "Don't do anything funny! One wrong move from you, and the kid is dead, you got that?"

Sesshomaru stared Jakotsu down, each sizing the other up, when Jakotsu smiled.

"It's funny." He taunted. "It's just a matter of time, if you think about it."

"Is that what you think?" Sesshomaru returned, his gaze and tone cold and hard.

Yuki pursed her lips, gaze flitting around worriedly. Sesshomaru might act calm, but she knew that his hands were tied while Rin was in danger – and he could only stall Jakotsu for so long. If she could just get Rin free...

Jakotsu lifted his sword, readying himself for battle once more, and Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed before a slight smirk appeared on his face. Jakotsu saw it instantly, and he snarled: "Why you arrogant wretch! What's so damn funny? You're hardly in any position to be laughing!"

He flung his sword forward again, releasing his attack once more, when Sesshomaru suddenly launched forward to meet the attack head on.

"Ah?" Jakotsu asked, confused, when Sesshomaru suddenly threw Tokijin... right at Suikotsu.

The sword pierced Suikotsu right in the chest, completely clear of Rin, but Yuki's eyes widened as she saw Jakotsu's blades slash through Sesshomaru's right shoulder. Blood spurted, but Sesshomaru ignored it as he simply plunged his hand right through Jakotsu's exposed chest.

"ARGH!" Jakotsu gasped, as Sesshomaru's claws exited his back, before he collapsed onto Sesshomaru's arm, still imbedded in his chest.

Suikotsu also dropped forward, dropping Rin in his slack grip, and Rin quickly struggled to free herself. She fell to her knees, and quickly pushed herself up, starting to run as she called: "Lord Sesshomaru- ah!"

The little girl fell as Suikotsu suddenly reached forward, shoving her to the ground with a hand to her back.

Rin looked back in shock as Suikotsu slowly lifted his head once more, and said with a smirk: "You're not going anywhere."