Chapter 17: Jaken's Plan

A blood moon was shining high in the sky as Yuki stared up at it thoughtfully. She was standing between Sesshomaru and Rin, both of whom were also staring up at the moon, the former without any expression and the latter with wonder. It was really beautiful in an eerie sort of way, though it surprised Yuki that the moon struck her that way.

She'd never really considered the full moon to be particularly beautiful, not when it signified her weakness. But now, safe in the knowledge that Sesshomaru was watching over them, she could admire its brilliance, even as it shone red as a ruby in the inky black sky. Although, it still amused her somewhat to think that she could feel so safe in her mortal state under Inuyasha's cold older brother's protection.

It had been a full month since he'd found out about her secret, and in that time she had started to understand the elder son of the Inu no Taisho. Sesshomaru was the opposite of Inuyasha in many ways, but Yuki soon saw that her earliest suspicions of the dog demon were in fact true: he was kind.

Not in the same way as Inuyasha, but similar to Inuyasha, Sesshomaru cared about those under his protection. He certainly never said it aloud, but she had seen plenty of proof with Rin, even with Jaken at times... and even with herself. She finally felt at home with Sesshomaru, and it seemed that since he'd used Tenseiga to revive her, he had fully accepted her as one of his group too.

And the thought made her feel inexplicably warm.

She was broken from her musings as she heard a stomach rumble from beside her, and Yuki smiled a little as Rin touched her middle sheepishly, rubbing her grumbling tummy.

"I told you to ration out your dinner." Yuki said fondly, and Rin sighed: "Yes, but the rabbit meat was so tender, I did not wish for it to harden."

"Rin." Sesshomaru abruptly called, and the child looked up with a smile.

"Yes, what is it, my lord?" She asked innocently, and Yuki hid a laugh as Sesshomaru, without looking away from the moon, informed her: "If you're hungry, you must fend for yourself."

"All right!" Rin answered cheerfully, before she dashed away as she called: "I'm off!"

Yuki watched the child go before she glanced at Sesshomaru.

"Do you want me to go with her?" She asked, and Sesshomaru was silent for a moment.

"Jaken." He called, and the small imp-like demon hurried over instantly as he asked: "Milord?"

"Accompany Rin." He ordered, and Yuki raised a brow while Jaken gawped.

"Of... of course, milord." Jaken stuttered before hurrying off with A-Un to take the child in search of food.

Yuki watched them all leave with an amused expression before she glanced at Sesshomaru as the dog demon continued to stare at the sky.

"So, I'm not good enough protection when I'm human." Yuki teased, and Sesshomaru didn't reply but she laughed anyways.

After spending the last two or so months travelling with him, she was starting to know what he was thinking enough to read his expressions and reactions however slight. At the moment, he had acknowledged both her claim and the joke behind it, and Yuki shook her head fondly at him.

"Well, I suppose they can hardly get into a lot of trouble whilst looking for food." Yuki mused. "Though I'd still feel better if I could see to it that they were safe."

"Hn." Was all the reply she got but Yuki grinned.

There was a brief silence as they both stared up at the moon, Sesshomaru still examining it intently as he remained deep in thought. Yuki had settled down on the grass to the side, absently playing with the green leaves as she too watched the lunar eclipse's progress.