Chapter 22: Resolution

In the days following her revelation, Yuki spent her time avoiding Sesshomaru as much as she could. It was subtle, but she didn't bound over to ask random questions, or tease him as much as she used to.

Even Rin waking up a few hours after passing out did little to ease her discomfort. In fact, it added to her awkwardness as Rin had confided into her what she'd thought before she fell unconscious.

"You know, Yuki," Rin had whispered as they began to follow Sesshomaru once more. "When I saw you with Lord Sesshomaru on the cliff, I thought you were really like my mom and dad."

"Oh." Yuki had said blankly, trying very hard to keep from going red. "Well, I think that must be an exaggeration - your parents must have had a better relationship."

"No, they were similar to you." The child had answered innocently. "Mama was nice and always laughing, while Papa was more silent," (that explained Rin's ease with Sesshomaru), "but he was always kind, and loved us very much."

"Well, I'm sure Sesshomaru cares for you in a similar way, Rin." Yuki had answered, firmly keeping her mind away from the ideas Rin was putting in them. "And I certainly care about you."

"What about Lord Sesshomaru?" Rin had asked with big, wide eyes. "Do you care for him as well?"

"Um..." Yuki had faltered, and Rin added with her big doe-eyes gazing at Yuki innocently: "I like Lord Sesshomaru very much."

Yuki had never felt as cornered in her life as that moment. Staring at Rin's big, innocent eyes, she knew she couldn't just escape without an answer. And so, with a furtive glance at the dog demon himself to make sure he wasn't listening, she at last said a little evasively: "He isn't so bad."

Yuki groaned silently.

That had been the biggest understatement of her life. Now that she was aware of it, all she could focus on was how her heart skipped a beat when she met his eyes that had once seemed so unreadable but now looked more like pools of gold filled with emotions waiting to be discovered; or the way she felt warm when Sesshomaru took care of them in his own silent way; or the way his presence could make her feel so safe...

Oh, she had it bad.

'No, no, no.' Yuki argued. 'It's just... curiosity. That's it, curiosity... Yeah, right.'

Thankfully, Jaken and Rin didn't seem to notice anything different about her. And if Sesshomaru had, then he didn't comment on it. And for that Yuki was grateful, though it still did little to ease her nervousness. What she really wanted was a distraction, something else to focus her attention on.

As the thought crossed her mind for the thousandth time, Yuki was broken from her thoughts as Sesshomaru called a sudden stop.

"Lord Sesshomaru?" Jaken questioned, as confused as Yuki was at Sesshomaru's abrupt halt.

"Rin." He called in his flat voice, ignoring Jaken, and the child perked up as she answered: "Yes?"

"There is a stream nearby." He informed, and Rin brightened instantly.

"Yes!" She said delightedly, and with a nod from Sesshomaru the child had slid off A-Un and gone scampering off in the direction Sesshomaru indicated.

"Jaken." He ordered next, and the small demon questioned: "Yes, mi lord?"

"Go with her." Sesshomaru stated with all his usual loquaciousness.

"Yes, mi lord."

Jaken hastily hurried after Rin, calling after the child to wait, while Yuki frowned in confusion at Sesshomaru's random behaviour.