Chapter 63: Mother

Eventually, Yuki and Kohaku cried themselves out, and the group made camp when they did.

Kohaku spent the night withdrawn from the group to mourn Kikyo's passing alone, and no-one pressed him. Rin watched him before she fell asleep, while Jaken just shook his head before making himself comfortable near the little girl as Kohaku simply stared up at the beautiful milky way that had appeared in the night sky.

It was a bittersweet beauty, and Yuki had gazed at it too from her place sitting between Sesshomaru's legs as she settled into his embrace for the night, needing the comfort. He had let her, simply covering her with his fur train while he rested against a tree as usual. Yuki had spent most of the night just gazing up at the lights until she'd eventually found some rest in sleep, curled against Sesshomaru's chest.

The two parted the following morning, Sesshomaru moving to stare thoughtfully up at the sky as he searched for something once more while Yuki wandered off to a corner of the field they had camped in.

Rin could hear her singing, and left the half-demoness alone at Jaken's advice; instead, she and Jaken peered between Sesshomaru and Yuki as they wondered what was going through each of Rin's guardians' minds.

The child was also worried about Kohaku, and she eventually moved to the boy while Jaken continued to watch both Sesshomaru and Yuki as Yuki sang softly to herself, gazing up at the sky while she thought about Inuyasha:

"Diamonds spring out of my eyes,

And sparkle down my cheeks

No matter what sorrow, I have to endure

I pray for the strength to not get hurt~"

With the break of dawn, Yuki was debating going to look for her brother, who might need her right now. Kagome was the only other person who could reach Inuyasha on a deep enough level to console him with his loss, but she knew that it might be tricky for the human girl who looked so much like Kikyo, and who loved Inuyasha in the same way Kikyo once had.

Yuki had almost made up her mind to tell Sesshomaru she was going – she wasn't going to ask this time – when the wind blew across the field and her ear twitched in surprise as she caught a faint scent.

"Huh?" Yuki asked, turning to look up at the sky in shock.

Sesshomaru was already watching the shadowy figure that was flying amongst the clouds, his eyes narrowed. The others soon followed, Kohaku, Jaken, and Rin all looking up as a dog demon appeared high above, and the little girl wondered aloud: "What is it?"

"That..." Yuki gasped, eyes widening and shooting an incredulous look at Sesshomaru. It couldn't be... could it? He wasn't serious... was he?!

Sesshomaru ignored her look as he abruptly took off into the air, glowing red as he began to transform.

"Lord Sesshomaru, wait!" Jaken cried, but of course he did no such thing as he flew up to the other dog demon.

They growled at each other as they flew together, entwining as they headed back down towards the ground some ways off from the group, landing with a loud crash.

Jaken and Rin hurried over instantly, while Kohaku, A-Un and Yuki followed more slowly, the half-demoness wary.

"Lord Sesshomaru!" Jaken called as he dashed up to the demon lord, before he cocked his head slightly in confusion. "Huh?"

Before him, as the smoke cleared from the clearing to reveal a female dog demon: beautiful and poised, with the same delicate features as Jaken's master. Too similar.