Side Episode 2 "Chipping the Wall"

(After attending part of Grace's Jedi graduation party, Lothar found himself in the Scout Corpe conference chamber waiting to be court-martialed after telling the the whole story.)

Paider: (pounds his fist on the table) You can't be serious....tell me this isn't true!

Lothar: (exhales) What I said...it's all true.

(All the scout leaders look around the room in shock)

Marcy: (looks down) ....Dathan...

Captian: (waits)....

Paider: (punches the table even harder) Out of all of us....he trusted you the most...looked up to you the most....respected you to the most! (Fights back the tears) How could you do that to Dathan's name! Does honor and dignity mean nothing to you!? (Two other soldiers hold him back) How could you lie like that!? How can you tarnish his name like that? It's all what's left of him!

Marcy: (folds her fingers together on the table and closes her eyes).... Paider...

Paider: I know Dathan wasn't the brightest nor the best we had, but he was part of our team, OUR family! (Points at Lothar) Why did we ever let this outsider...this stranger into our group?! How do we know he's not just here to sabotage the Corpe or our entire station here on Fadis? You're lucky I'm on this side of the table, you worthless little cretin!

Lothar: (starts to panic) I would never do that-

Paider: No you, shut up! I don't want to hear a word outta you right now!

Marcy: Paider...easy...we're all hurting, but-

Paider: Don't pity him, Marcy. Yes, we're soldiers. Yes, we have our duty. But we're also people...people with goals! Passions! Dreams!

Lothar: (disheartened)....

Paider: (glares down at Lothar) And I bet you my right arm, he told you all about his dream for the future. But you didn't care. You probably just tuned it all out, didn't you? You couldn't even bother. No one's more important to you than you, is what I'm gathering.

Lothar: (looks down with his eyes widened) ...

Paider: (breathes) And I bet you've been like that your whole life.

Lothar: (tries to hide his tears and closes his eyes)....I'm sorry.

Captain: Sergeant, that's enough.

Paider: (sits down)...

Marcy: Being a scout here on Fadis is not an easy job...not everyone's cut out for it either. It's a huge responsibility, and not the safest job on Fadis. Since circumstances have never been on our side, we've had to go with what we got. In fact, the average age of scouts here is actually 19...but we've had plenty of teenagers, with the right amount of training, do amazing things in our scout units. Dathan wasn't that much different than you are, Lothar.

Lothar: I'm sorry. I really am. If I could undo it all, I would. Honestly.

(The other leaders talk amongst themselves in the back room. After some time went by, the leaders returned to the chamber.)

Captain: (looks at everyone) Fadis is living thing, so things are never set in stone here. That's why our job is never done. We've seen countless Scouts lose their lives on this planet, whether it be from unfortunate circumstances...or just sheer stupidity. But our mission...our duty still stands...even when they sleep. (Looks back at him) Lothar Vice, you are not first who caused a comrade to fall and lie about it....but you are the first here to own up to it. Why?

Lothar: (exhales) I know I don't deserve any of your forgiveness or your trust...but I know that I was taught to make up for the mistakes you make, cause if you don't...it'll leave a sting of pain that will haunt you forever. That pain of guilt, the scars...of shame...that's something I never want hanging over my head for life. And I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it right.

Captain: (listens) We all bleed, eat, sleep, and feel the same, Lothar....relatively speaking. And we've all got something we're carrying whether it be in our minds or our hearts with the possibility of keeping it or losing it. That's what makes us alive. And as Scouts, we cannot let our fallen brothers and sisters die in vain.

Paider: (exhales)...

Captain: While I hate to lose another comrade, I respect your willingness to come clean. I can't say that for all the 13 year olds I've met. With that I have reached my decision. Lothar Vise, based on the actions and words spoken today, you will not be charged with prison time or a firing squad. Now you will have to complete 200 mandatory hours of sentry duty and 400 mandatory hours of scout rotations. Sound fair?

Lothar: (nods) Yes, sir.

Captain: That's captain to you. We still have a job to do.

Lothar: (gives a small smile) Yes, captain.

Captain: Good. Dismissed. (Stands up and leaves with the rest of the Scout leaders)

Lothar: (sees Paider) Paider, I-

Paider: (approaches Lothar) Dathan spoke highly of you, Lothar....now it's your job to prove to everyone that he wasn't lying.

Lothar: You got it.

Marcy: (comes up and lightly punches Lothar's shoulder) All right, Lothar, I'll be watching over you this time. So, we'll get along swimmingly.

Lothar: Heh, I was kinda hoping you'd hit me in the face instead.

Marcy: What?

Paider: Can do. (Punches Lothar in the face)

Marcy: (pulls him back) Whoa, whoa! Paider, what are you doing?! C'mon guys! I can't sit down for another 2 hour court meeting.

Lothar: (chuckles and holds up his hand) No, no, Marcy, it's all right. (Wipes the blood off his chin and smirks) I needed that.

End Episode