Chapter 14

High in the tranquility tower, half of the council had immediately vacated the meeting room to confront the disturbance outside their ancient home. The remaining half staring out of the window included Yarael Poof, Depa Billaba, Sifo-Dyas, Adi-Gallia and Grand Master Yoda himself. They had remained, not out of fear of this invader, but with the intent to hold back the waves of the Dark Side slamming against the temple.

On all their faces were varied expressions from disbelief to caution and even some hints of anger. But Yoda just kept his level gaze as he narrowed his eyes at the horizon. Or, rather, at the Dark Side.

To an outsider, it would look as if Vader had been standing perfectly still among the bodies of young Jedi. But whereas those around Yoda could sense the truth, he could SEE it.

For it was not just Vader standing before the temple.

It was something Yoda could scarcely believe, but he was seeing it and knew it to be true. From Vader resonated a call in the force. A call that, unless it was meant for them, only those deeply intoned to the mystical nature of the Force could understand.

It was not a plea for help or a demand of submission. It was not even a declaration of war.

It was, simply, a rallying cry.

A call that was being answered.

Thousands of tendrils of darkness stretched across The Force, from every end of the galaxy, all reaching towards Coruscant. To Vader.

All those who dwelled within the shadows and wielded the Dark Side, for this moment and likely never again, relinquished their grip over the Dark Side of the Force to Darth Vader. And oh, there were so many more than any Jedi had ever dared to even dread.

The great shadow of Vader's mighty power swelled, becoming and behaving like a dark sea in a wild storm, and in every wave was the face and roar of dark-siders from across the stars, and even across time.

But why? For what purpose? Why would all those who crave power suddenly release it to another? Not even the Sith Lords could force such an act on such a galactic wide scale.

'Force, Grand Master?'

Yoda's scowl deepened as he felt the dark presence. Not within his mind, but right before him. For distance meant nothing in this instance. 'Come here, why do you?'

'Why indeed,' Vader responded, disregarding the question as if it were unimportant. 'I didn't need to coerce this from anyone, Grand Master. I needed only to make an offer.'

'Hm. Power for greater power, is that your exchange?' Yoda questioned, unimpressed by the most basic of schemes of those that used the Dark Side.

'No,' Vader answered with just a hint of smugness. 'I merely requested they allow me to remind you Jedi of something.'

'Of the Dark Side? Its Power?' Yoda predicted, scowling as he literally felt Vader's smirk and received an answer.

An answer that might as well have been from the Dark Side itself.

'That we are here.'

Meanwhile

Vader had barely reached the end of the first platform before the dam let loose.

No one would ever be sure who started it. A brash Padawan, a dutiful Guardian, a overly proud Knight, or maybe even a overzealous Master. It didn't truly master who had leapt first from the temple, only that many more started to follow suit. Over the cries of their comrades and the orders of their teachers, waves of them charged forth to confront the darkness they believed was laying siege to them, that they were meant to fight.