➽─Part Thirty Four─❥

You walked into the cafeteria, the binder Michael had given you tucked under your arm. Though it was a challenge, you pretended as if there weren't students who stopped to stare at you when you passed by, obviously having heard of the rumours circulating regarding you and your ex math professor.

A public space was not your cup of tea at that point in time, but you had made your way there after calling Luisa to set somewhat of a lunch date with her - not that it was going to be anything enjoyable, of course. You'd only just arrived, and after seeing the awkward attention you received, you already wanted to leave.

To your relief, you spotted your friend seated at a table toward the far end of the room, a wide smile visible on her face as she waved to get your attention. A faint smile graced your lips, and even if it wasn't your usual bright smile, it was more than enough for Luisa.

"Hey girl," she flashed you a reassuring smile in return, watching you as you approached.

"Hey," you let out a breath, pulling out the chair that was located across the table - sitting down to face her.

She observed you carefully, already picking up on how disheartened you were. Taking in a deep breath, she placed her hands on the table, giving you an empathetic look.

"He...still left, didn't he?" she sighed.

"There obviously wasn't anything I could do to change his mind," you raised your eyebrows, placing the binder on the table and gazing at it thoughtfully.

There was a moment of silence between the two of you before she spoke again. "I didn't know you...cared for him that much. I wish you had told me what was going on, so I could have been there for you,"

"I didn't even know it myself," you grimaced. "But it....wasn't something I wanted to admit to myself, let alone anyone else," you brought your eyes back to her. "But you being here is more than enough. Really, the last thing you need is sad old (Y/N), crying over a guy that wasn't even hers," you groaned. "What is happening to me?! I need to get myself together," you huffed.

"Hey," she reached out to take your hand. "It's okay to feel upset about it if you really felt that way. Honestly, I don't know what happened, but I'm pretty sure he was crazy about you," she grinned, but only for a second, her eyes flickering to your barely noticeable bruised wrist.

"Is that...." she frowned. "A bruise?"

"What?" your eyes widened, initially confused by what she meant. Quickly though, you understood that she was referring to your barely there injury. "Oh, yeah," you winced. "Um...it's a long story,"

"Long story short, you hit Mason in the face, I know,"

"How did you know?" your jaw fell open.

"Well..." she began coyly. "I bumped into him last night, and he looked upset, so I asked him if he was alright," she shrugged. "He said you hit him, and I told him that if you did, he must have done something to deserve it,"

"I can assure you he didn't deserve it," you shook your head, your gaze then narrowing in on the finer details of Luisa's face. "Are you....blushing?" you let out a bewildered laugh.

The expression on her face gave her away, making you laugh even harder.

"Yes you are!" you exclaimed. "You like Mason, don't you?" you wiggled your eyebrows.

"No I do not," she tried to conceal the smile that further gave her away. "I just....don't think he's all that bad looking,"

"And you want to get to know him better, don't you?" you goaded. "Mhm, don't even try to lie to me,"

This new discovery had actually brought you a sense of...cheer, albeit in small quantities. It was rather refreshing to see that your two good friends might have had chemistry, and you only hoped that your issues would not get in the way of that.

"Well I have his number, if you want it," you wiggled your eyebrows again, seeing her cheeks turn red again. "Awe this is such a refreshing sight," you managed a genuine smile as you reached into the pocket of your coat to fetch your phone.

Just then, a few girls from your previous math class walked by your table, glaring at you wickedly.

Oh no.

"Well if it isn't our ex professor's little princess," one of them sneered.

You took in a deep breath, not wanting to get into a fight that day. A slightly sprained wrist and a bruised heart was more than enough for the week - the last thing you needed was a physical altercation to tarnish your record.

But, your patience was further tested when she stopped right in front of you, her two sidekicks behind her.

Ew.

"This is college, not highschool - did you not get the memo?" you couldn't resist giving her a sour smile.

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. "You know, Professor Jackson was our favourite teacher, and if it hadn't been for you, he wouldn't have left,"

Before you could shoot back your reply, Luisa piped up.

"And you won't be left with a single hair strand left on your scalp if you don't shut the hole in your face - because I will drag you across this floor," she raised her voice slightly. "All three of you, in fact,"

"Oh..." you trailed off, looking at Luisa. "I don't hear her anything from her other two...friends," you redirected your attention to them. "Can I buy a vowel, or do you want a fight - because at this point I couldn't care less about my record,"

That's a lie, but I'm not letting my best friend fight alone.

Exactly as you had thought, they simply stormed off, not saying anything more. You shook your head in disbelief, moving to face Luisa again.

"Sometimes I wish Michael would have taken my problems with him," you snorted, the intended jest of your joke not reaching your eyes.

After a few seconds, you recalled what you had been about to do before the three musty-keteers showed up.

"Oh right, the number," you gasped. "I-"

"No," she straightened up, placing her hands on the table. "We're not talking about boys, or...he-who-shall-not-be-named," she giggled, making you do the same. "I think....we need a night out," she held her hand up right as you opened your mouth to protest. "I'll keep an eye on you, don't worry - I'll make sure you don't get wasted," she waved her hand. "But you and I need to have a girl's night out, because there's a whole lot we need not to think about, just for one evening,"

"I don't think that's a good idea," you grimaced.

"No arguments," she shook her head. "I'm coming to pick you up at seven, and ready or not - you're coming with me. I have the perfect plan,"

• •══⊹⊱❖⊰⊹══• •