➽─Part Twenty─❥

The moment was pure chaos, because as soon as you had kissed him, you could hear several people around you gasp - mainly because you were a student, kissing your professor without any qualms.

But the funny thing was that it was not a one-sided kiss.

Even if it had just been for a second, you knew that he had responded. However, he was quick to realize what he was doing, and in one swift movement, his hand had gently placed itself just above your hip, pushing you back gently.

As you stepped back from him, you couldn't hold back a laugh as Marie began to lose her mind, reaffirming that she had been jealous when she'd seen how close you and Michael previously were.

"Do you make it your business to intrude on everyone else's date when you can't get your own?" Marie snarled at you.

"Let's just be clear, that was not a date," Michael interjected. "You know that," he addressed Marie.

You instinctively snickered, making Michael tjrn back to look at you.

"And you were out of line for what you just did," he looked at you, but something about his eyes told you that he wanted to laugh. He looked as though he were only reprimanding you for the sake of seeming unbiased, but he certainly didn't appear as though he meant to scold you.

"Oh...how tragic," you raised your eyebrows. "My apologies,"

"What's tragic is the fact that you need to show up where you're not wanted," Marie spat at you.

You were about to snap back when Luisa stepped in, snapping for you.

"Listen, baby, you need to calm down, and transfer all that energy into deciding on one colour for that head of yours, because the rainbow look isn't it for you," she stepped forward. "You do not want to start something you can't finish, because I can very well have you left without anything on your head by the end of the night," she narrowed her eyes.

Your hand shot up to your mouth as you tried your best not to laugh out too loud.

"Alright, there'll be none of that," Michael intervened, his tone becoming more stern. "I think that'll be all for the night, Marie. If you have anymore inquiries, you can find me in my office tomorrow," he dismissed.

She glared at you one last time before storming off, leaving Luisa in fits of giggles. She redirected her attention to you, briefly looking at Michael before she smirked.

"You know what..." she glanced at her wrist watch. "I forgot that I actually have a date with this guy I met yesterday...and I...have got to go,"

"What?" your eyes widened.

"Yeah, remember, I told you earlier?" she gave you a suggestive look as she backed away. "Anyways, see you tomorrow, love you, bye!"

"Luisa!" you called, but she was too quick.

Before you could stop her, or run after her, she had jogged off, intentionally leaving you in Michael's company alone.

People were still looking at the pair of you, and when you turned your gaze back to Michael, you saw that he looked deeply upset, saying nothing as he moved to leave.

His strides were large as he began to distance himself from everyone else, heading toward the isolated evening road that led away from the ruckus. For a split second, you contemplated walking in the opposite direction, but something inside of you made you run after him.

"Sir!" you raced to catch up with him, only to be met with no response as he continued to walk.

Though you could not see his face, you knew he had a serious expression painted on his face.

"I'm sorry, okay?" you let out a breath. "The kiss...I didn't think it-"

"That's the problem, (Y/N)," he stopped, turning around to look at you, making you stop as well. "You never seem to think when the situation requires it the most. The problem with you is that you never stop to think," he glared at you.

You threw your hands in the air, groaning loudly out of frustration.

"Why do you always do this?!" you raised your voice, taking him by surprise. "Why do you confuse me so much?! Do you enjoy seeing people scramble with their perception of reality? Because you seem to be unimaginably skilled at instilling doubt into me!" you shook your head. "Listen, you've got to choose one - either you treat me with the kindness that you've previously been able to show me, or you mistreat me like a grumpy old professor would, and stick with whatever you choose, because I am tired of being pushed around like this!" you huffed. "We're nothing more than teacher and student, right? So it shouldn't be difficult for you to choose something and stick with it!"

"Don't be ridiculous, (Y/N), that has never been my intention. You've got it all wrong," he sighed.

It was then that you noticed how well he had been able to control his tense breathing, as though he had conditioned himself to dealing with your scent, regardless of how challenging it might have been. Amidst all of the chaos, you hadn't realized how difficult it was for him to be standing so close to you, and conversing with you whilst regulating his senses.

Now that you looked closer, you could see his jaw muscles were extremely tense, causing your heart to sink.

"The kiss...you....weren't angry...about...people seeing us, were you?" you whispered as the truth of the situation finally dawned on you.

He diverted his gaze, still tense and stoic. "It was very risky, what you did - for both you and I. Being close to you is one thing, but kissing you is...another," he took in a jagged breath. "I'm not...controlled enough for that yet. I would never hurt you, but you should not have done that, at least not without warning," he brougtht himself to look at you again.

Cocking your head to the side, you studied him, a small smile tugging at your lips at the mention of the words 'not without warning'.

Carefully, you walked closer to him, watching as his jaw tensed further. Yet despite how much of a struggle it was for him, he didn't back away.

You continued until you were right in front of him, lips almost touching.

But just when it seemed as though you were about to kiss him again, you stopped, more or less whispering against his lips.

"I should hope to be early to my next class with you, sir,"

He quirked his eyebrows very subtly, as if he hadn't expected such an outcome. It was a mixture of amusement and...desire? You couldn't have been sure.

And after one last smile, you pulled away from him, turning around to walk back to your campus quarters. As you did this, you couldn't help but smile, knowing that Michael was staring at you still.

You couldn't believe you had done what you did, but you would have been dishonest if you had said you didn't like it.

Very dishonest indeed.

• •══⊹⊱❖⊰⊹══• •