➽─Part Eighteen─❥

You had returned to your dorm room, and Mason had dropped you off. You could not stop thinking about Michael, and how angry he had gotten. Your heart began to race as you remembered how he had said that he could hear Charles' thoughts. Chances were, he was telling the truth. It troubled you a bit, but you tried not to think about it too much.

Seated on the bed, you looked around the room. Everything seemed dull, and you were very tired. Suddenly, your mobile phone vibrated, on your bedside table. Leaning over, you grabbed it and saw that Luisa had sent you a message.

Hey girl, I hope you're okay, let's meet up in the evening, at the restaurant down the road. I'll pay. Does seven sound good? Let me know!

-Luisa

You were just about to respond when someone knocked at the front door. A frown formed on your face as you stood up. It was three in the afternoon, and you weren't expecting anyone. In fact, you were never expecting anyone - you hardly mixed around.

Walking towards the door, you opened it. Your eyes widened slightly when you saw whom it was.

Janet.

"Hi," she smiled a little, staring at you.

"What do you want?" you asked, wanting to close the door.

"I just....want to talk to you," she said. "I want to...explain,"

"Explain what?" you raised an eyebrow. "There isn't anything to explain. The two of you are vampires, great, I won't say anything to anyone. Now can you please leave me alone?"

"(Y/N)," she sighed. "Just...give me a chance," she looked at you.

You noticed that she was holding a leather purse in her hands, keeping it close to her. A moment passed as you thought about her words. Eventually, you let out a sigh of defeat and stepped aside to let her in.

"Thank you," she said as you shut the door and turned around to face her.

"Have a...seat," you gestured to the chair at your study desk as you moved to settle down at the edge of the bed. Janet looked around before taking her seat. Facing you, she cleared her throat.

"Listen...I know that...what you saw, that evening, came as a huge shock to you," she began. "I know that you were terrified, and I know that you might feel a certain sense of...anger towards Michael," she continued. "And even...me,"

You folded your arms and shook your head. "I don't feel a sense of anger, I'm just..shocked," you looked down. "And...dare I say, scared,"

Janet nodded slightly. "And I get that. You're...human, and naturally - you will behave like one," she kept her eyes on yours. "But...Michael isn't a bad person. We aren't bad people," she shook her head.

"A girl died because of Michael," you stared at her. "A young...innocent girl,"

"Yes, I know," her face fell slightly. "It was unfortunate, but that is not who we are," she gently fiddled with her fingers. "Every month, we hunt animals for blood," she carried on. "And although human blood is sweeter, we do not hunt people," she breathed. "However, if....we...don't feed on time....we....become...desperate," she ran her tongue over her bottom lip. "And that was Michael's situation, that evening. He was four weeks due for his..." she trailed off.

"Feed?" you scoffed a little.

"I know it sounds crazy, (Y/N), but it's the truth. Besides, you don't have to be worried - Michael would never harm you,"

"What's that supposed to mean?" you scoffed again.

"Look," she stood up, making you do the same. "Just give us a chance," she held her purse close. "And if it's too much for you, then at least give Michael a chance. He's not a bad person,"

"I never said he was," you responded.

"I know," she stared at you. "But I...just...want you to...try to understand him. He...really cares for you," she looked down for a moment before looking back up. "There is so much more that I'd like to say, but I'm not going to waste your time," she walked to the front door. "I hope you'll keep what I've said, in mind," she opened the door and stepped out as you walked up to the doorway.

"Wait," you called, a small frown on your face. She turned around to look at you. "Why don't you find it difficult to breathe around me? After all, don't I carry the scent of blood?"

"I do find it hard to breathe around you, but over time - we've learned to hide it,"

You paused for a brief moment before speaking again. "Then...why does Michael...look affected by my scent when he's around me?" you inquired, clearly confused. "Hasn't he learned how to hide it?"

"He has," she broke into a small smile. "But as for why he's so affected by your scent? I'm sure you already know the answer she glanced at you one last time before turning and walking off.

I'm sure you already know the answer.

• •══⊹⊱❖⊰⊹══• •