➽─Part Twenty Seven─❥

You stared at Mason in shock, shaking your head in disbelief.

"No..." you trailed off.

"Oh God," he ran his fingers through his hair, unbelievably distressed. "I know my brother is no saint, but (Y/N), you have to believe me - he didn't do this. He's not capable of killing someone," his voice cracked. "Especially not like that,"

You managed a nod, but deep down your thoughts were preoccupied with something else. Straight away, you knew that Michael had had something to do with it - and the stark realization left you torn. It felt as though you didn't even know how to think anymore.

"Mason..." you began quietly. "How...how did they make the arrest? Did they have enough evidence?" you inquired.

"His DNA was reported to be all over the scene, but the only hope we have is that the traces left behind appeared more as though he had walked in on something terrible happening to her, and less as though he had actually murdered her," he rambled. "But there was no other DNA present aside from his own, as well as hers. But (Y/N), I know he didn't do it because he was with me when the incident occurred! It doesn't make any sense!"

The librarian swiftly let out a sshh sound, instructing you to keep your voices down without having to say anything.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, but I need to help my brother. I can't let them lock him up for something he didn't do,"

The frustration in his face made you sick to your stomach, because you knew the truth, and you knew that an innocent individual was going to be ruined if you didn't figure out the right thing to do in time.

"(Y/N), I know this is a lot to ask...but I need your help," he stared at you desperately.

Immediately, your heart sank further - now heavy with nothing but guilt.

The idea of thinking was too much for you to handle at that point, so you closed your binder, stuffing it into your bag as you rose to your feet. You could tell that Mason was confused, and perhaps even hurt - but you were much too overwhelmed with your scattered thoughts to try and clarify anything.

In the blink of an eye, you had rushed out of the library, already having an exact idea of where you intended to go. You needed to speak to Michael again, and though the back and forth with him was growing a little tiresome - you were determined to get a clearer picture of the story.

With a speedy pace, you walked all the way from the library building toward the teachers' work quarters, where you were sure to find Michael. A few teachers had stopped to stare at you, noticing that you had frequented that area of the campus one too many times - but you paid no mind to them.

Suddenly, all you could envision in your mind was the task of speaking to Michael, the impending assignment you were required to do falling behind on your list of priorities.

At this rate, I'm really going to fail college.

By the time you had reached the door to Michael's office, you were a little out of breath, but you found the strength to knock loudly anyways. As always, the door was closed, and you could already picture him seated at his work desk, his head lowered in concentration.

"Come in,"

You managed a very small smile at the sound of his voice, but it didn't stay for very long.

He looked up as you entered, and his eyes widened when he noticed that it was you.

"(Y/N)," he remarked, setting his pen down. "What a pleasant surprise,"