58 Relative

Chris

The first rays of sunlight haven't even broken over the horizon but I'm wide awake. Jess is sleeping soundly, tucked against my side with her head on my chest.

I miss waking up with her draped across me like a blanket. Her touch is addictive and leaves me wanting more, but with her growing belly she can't sleep like that any more.

In such a short time, her body has begun to change so much. Not even my baggy sweats hide her changing body any more. Last night just proved how visible her pregnancy has become. Not only is her stomach and hips filling out but her breasts are fuller too.

She was the most beautiful woman I've seen last night but I felt how subconscious she felt at first through the bond. Jess has come so far but there are times when I see how fragile her growth still is and my recent outburst mistakes haven't helped.

I've fucked up enough already, be damned if I hurt her or let anyone else do it again.

The fact that she lets Rebecca take digs at her drives me nuts but I understand what she's doing. Already I've seen a shift in the people here.

Jenna has come out of her shell around our pack and her mate Merrick has already asked to stay on. The Omegas are no longer as jumpy. With some much needed shuffling, Xavier was able to get the books straightened out and everyone taken care of but even the basic pay they receive has made a big difference in morale.

Jess isn't the only one changing minds, Sara has made one hell of an impact on the warrior base with her training and finally won over Henry. Claire even in her state has drawn people to her and Chloe continues to impress in her medical studies.

Dad always said strong shewolves were the backbone of a thriving pack, if they don't prove him right then nothing will. I just wish they'd give Mira the due she's owed.

Jess takes a deep breath and nuzzles against my chest. My fingertips skim across her silky back before brushing the hair away from her face. She stirs and smiles, sliding her hand up my chest and setting off sparks between us. Reluctantly, her eyelids flutter open and find mine.

"Hi," she murmurs.

"Morning beautiful," I reply, my voice husky from sleep. "How'd you sleep?"

"Mmm, like the dead," she sighs, her lashes fluttering shut as she smiles contently. "But it feels early... I suppose we have an early day, eh?"

"Stay," I plead, wrapping my arms around her and caging her to me. "The day can wait... This is our time."

"Mmmm, I like that," she giggles, melting into me. "Wonder if they'd notice if we just stayed in bed all day?"

"We could find-" Knocking on the door interrupts us. "You've got to be kidding me!"

Not even mornings are safe...

"What?" I growl, refusing to let Jess up.

"Sorry to bother, Your Majesties," Percival calls from the other side of the door, "but the guests are beginning to arrive and you wished to be advised."

"Thanks," I groan, palming my forehead. Jess buries her face against my chest to stop from laughing. I can't help but notice he doesn't walk away. "Is there something else?"

"I took the liberty of ordering breakfast... It's here, I'll be heading out to oversee the arrivals." Percival clears his throat and takes a deep breath. "That's all, Sire."

His shuffling footsteps signal his departure and Jess cranes her neck, sniffing slightly. I chuckle and sit up, slipping out of bed and make my way to the door.